What Are Some Obscure PS2 Games?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
oxymoron
Next-Gen

What Are Some Obscure PS2 Games?

Post by oxymoron »

I'm thinking about expanding my PS2 line-up. What are some; rare, obscure, under-rated games worth playing?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: What Are Some Obscure PS2 Games?

Post by ExedExes »

For starters, check out the PS2 Hidden Gems Guide right here on this site
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Just really started "collecting" PS2 although I played it a lot in it's prime. Interested in obscure titles as well. Particularly those games I foresee being cult classics.

Look up Okage Shadow King. Its a RPG that looks very Tim Burton. Got a nice CIB copy. Looking for odd games like this.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Chulip definitely comes to mind for me as being REALLY obscure. At one point, it was available for $5.00 new at Five Below.

The PS2's library is scary when it comes to obscure games since its huge! If you delve into imports (JPN,EU) then you're essentially opening pandora's box. There is enough to discover on PS2 to last two lifetimes. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

dsheinem wrote:Image

Oh you!

Those games actually aren't too bad ... except for Sum41.

Personally, I would currently spend my money getting the Atlus reprints floating around on Amazon. Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, Persona, and the Fatal Frame reprints also ... all these games were ridiculous expensive for so many years and were very sought after.

Otherwise ... follow the racketboy list.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

I have often thought that the PS2 has one of the best, most expansive, and diverse libraries of any console, and you could easily spend the rest of your life only on the PS2, still finding something new!
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

Opened this thread waiting for someone to post the Obscure covers, and was not disappointed. Thanks Dsh.

What genres interest you? There are a hundreds of offerings of obscure/rare/underrated in each.
Sasha_Blue
64-bit

Post by Sasha_Blue »

Okage Shadow King, it's a most have for RPG lovers
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Here are a few lesser known PS2 games that I really enjoyed:

I imported Super Galdelic Hour from Japan and it was totally worth the effort of tracking down. It's like a Saturday morning kids cartoon on acid, with lots of mini-games and a wholly unique sense of humor. Nice production values as well.

A lot of people nowadays know who CiNG were (if not, they were responsible for Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory on DS among other things). What some people don't know is that CiNG's first adventure game was actually on the PS2 and was published by Capcom. This game did not get a USA release, but it did get a European one and it has a 50/60 selector built into the main menu. Check it out if you like CiNG's other games.

This is one of the most unique horror games I've every played. You're a camera man trying to help report on supernatural events that are ravaging a particular Michigan city. It's a Suda51 game, need I say more?

That's just the tip of the tip of the iceberg for obscure PS2 games. The PS2 library is unbelievably big and the less you know the saner you'll be.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.