Xbox One

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Re: Xbox One

Post by Melek-Ric »

bmoc wrote:I'm thoroughly digging Cuphead. It is my #2 favorite new release of the year so far behind Breath of the Wild. This game is hard though. No checkpoints here. You gotta earn those wins. I've beaten 2 bosses plus a run & gun level on the second isle and I probably have 300 deaths. When you finally kill a tough boss, it is thing of beauty. I've spent hours on a single boss only to beat in in less than 2 minutes on the attempt where the stars align and I get everything right.

I've played a lot of new games this year, but Cuphead impresses me the most. Instant Classic.

My only criticism is lack of online co-op, but I can overlook that.

I love how the developers didn't make the game easy, like other developers do nowadays. It's old school contra-like fun where you have to "git gud" or you're going to not progress very far. And every award on the planet should be give to these devs for the presentation. Unbelievably good. I mean look at this artwork:
Devil.jpg
Devil.jpg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
The Souls collecting might be a nod to Dark Souls? Or is that a Faust aspect, often portrayed in 30's cartoons?

Anyway, I'm still on the first Isle. Only doing Regular difficulty. Just beat the first flying boss and now I think there's another Run & Gun to the southwest.

Everyone on this site should play this game. It's on Xbox and PC (Windows Store, Steam, GoG).
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I'm digging Cuphead a lot but I do have some quibbles. The parry attack seems imprecise and there does seem to be an element of randomness to things. For example Cagney Carnation would sometimes keep spamming those homing carrot things one run but would then sit perfectly still and allow me to blast him the another time. Enemy placement is similar. For a game leaning so heavily on old-skool mechanics with an emphasis on precise shooting and jumping this seems odd and a bit cheap.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Sload Soap wrote:I'm digging Cuphead a lot but I do have some quibbles. The parry attack seems imprecise and there does seem to be an element of randomness to things.

Yeah I've gotten nailed many times by a mistimed parry. The timing can be really tight and my TV's mediocre display lag isn't doing me any favors. I wouldn't be upset if they gave it a few more active frames or a slightly larger hitbox.

I've been reading a few discussion threads on Cuphead and I like reading about which bosses give people the most trouble. For me it was the genie followed by the clown. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the dragon but I managed that one just fine. I've beaten all three isles and I have had a few attempts on King Dice. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll just say that I think King Dice is going to give me a tough time too.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

In hindsight I regret not getting the charge attack.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

So who got an X?

I'm a little curious in them now with the backward compatibility improvements. I've heard even if the game isn't officially supported, it will still sometimes bump up the resolution and loading times for some 360 games? How often is that? What about framerate? Is this all the same for OG Xbox games too? Ninja Gaiden looks really slick.

So yeah, really curious on how the X handles OG Xbox and 360 games. If I can play my entire OG Xbox and 360 library on an X, sans official support or not, that would be really awesome.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I am curious - especially since I got the 4K TV. But I'm not really in a rush to early adopt either. I don't "need" a new Xbox. But I can see myself upgrading once there's some great sale or something.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I got an X, but can't say I've tried any back compat titles yet. Anecdotally, PUBG hasn't crashed for me yet, while friends without an X have it crash pretty regularly.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:So who got an X?

I'm a little curious in them now with the backward compatibility improvements. I've heard even if the game isn't officially supported, it will still sometimes bump up the resolution and loading times for some 360 games? How often is that? What about framerate? Is this all the same for OG Xbox games too? Ninja Gaiden looks really slick.

So yeah, really curious on how the X handles OG Xbox and 360 games. If I can play my entire OG Xbox and 360 library on an X, sans official support or not, that would be really awesome.

I haven't gotten one yet, since I don't have a 4k setup to really take advantage of it.

From what I have seen, a One X will not enhance the resolution of 360 games outside of specific additions. Digital Foundry had a nice article on how the 360 emulation is achieved about a month ago (with a somewhat simplified version of the content in the embedded Youtube video). The long and short of it is that while the games are recompiled for x86, the system near-completely emulates a 360 and core game code is untouched. The enhancements for the Xbox One are title-specific mods to the emulator. It's not as "simple" as running the game at a higher resolution like a PC would.

That said, the goal for their emulator is better-than-original hardware, which is apparently now typically the case (some titles had problems initially). Many run at better framerates (and better still, if there's room for it, on a One X). There are also some standard improvements such as forced vsync and 16X anisotropic filtering, along with whatever load time boosts from the required full HDD installs (the One X's HDD is much faster, so it's presumably a benefit).

Original Xbox stuff is similar, just with the emulator enhancements being standard for all games (so far), and present at a reduced level on the regular Xbox One.

In either case, you're not looking at being able to just pop any/every game in and play it. Any 360 or OG Xbox title you can play on a One X has some level of official support, and operates off of a downloaded copy. It's simply free for you if you own the disc (or previously bought it on XBL). It's not like PS2/3 playing PS1 discs or something.

Some outlets have described running unmodified Xbox One games as "backwards compatibility", which may be what you saw. Games that run at a dynamically scaled resolution end up maintaining higher settings. DOOM, for example, apparently maintains the 1080p that it could always scale to, but rarely ever did.
The forced 16X anisotropic filtering apparently applies here as well, and framerates will likely be better unless already capped.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I'm going to get an XOX eventually. I sold my original XBO to my friend who wanted mine for a few games. The newest console he had was a Wii U.

I still have all my games so the upgraded hardware will be nice for them. DOOM, Dark Souls III, and XCOM 2 are titles I want to see on it.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the first backwards compatible additions of 2018 hit this week...

Driver: San Francisco
Far Cry 2
Sniper Elite V2

...nothing I'm especially excited about, but glad to see they're back in the swing of updates.