Best of Series: Tomb Raider

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Best of Series: Tomb Raider

Post by Fragems »

I really enjoyed Anniversary it's a great entry point into the series since it is an updated version of the original. If you wait for the Christmas sales on steam the complete Tomb Raider collection including the new one will probably be around $25-$30 or most of the older ones will be around $2.50-$3 a piece.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Fragems wrote:I really enjoyed Anniversary it's a great entry point into the series since it is an updated version of the original. If you wait for the Christmas sales on steam the complete Tomb Raider collection including the new one will probably be around $25-$30 or most of the older ones will be around $2.50-$3 a piece.

I actually got the bundle with all 10 games for like $13 I believe. I've always been a casual fan of TR, so I've only played a few of them over the years. I'm thinking about maybe going through them in reverse chronological order starting with this one.

I wonder how close I am to the end of this one. Like I said, I didn't realize I was 10 hrs in, and you and isiolia both said you spent right around 10 hrs to complete it. I've done only a bit of side-tomb exploring, so I should be pretty on-track.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

The other reason I like the original was there are some bad ass enemies. In the newer game there are mainly human enemies and the animals aren't really much of a threat after the first hour or so. However the first tomb raider has some plain jaw dropping fights with some pretty amazing creatures. The first boss is my favorite.

noiseredux wrote:
Fragems wrote:I really enjoyed Anniversary it's a great entry point into the series since it is an updated version of the original. If you wait for the Christmas sales on steam the complete Tomb Raider collection including the new one will probably be around $25-$30 or most of the older ones will be around $2.50-$3 a piece.

I actually got the bundle with all 10 games for like $13 I believe. I've always been a casual fan of TR, so I've only played a few of them over the years. I'm thinking about maybe going through them in reverse chronological order starting with this one.

I wonder how close I am to the end of this one. Like I said, I didn't realize I was 10 hrs in, and you and isiolia both said you spent right around 10 hrs to complete it. I've done only a bit of side-tomb exploring, so I should be pretty on-track.

Once you hit the new enemy type you are probably less then an hour away from the end.
In other words once you start fighting the zombie samurai your just about to the end.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Fragems wrote:Once you hit the new enemy type you are probably less then an hour away from the end.
In other words once you start fighting the zombie samurai your just about to the end.

Jesus, does the new game borrow everything from Uncharted? I mean, the shift to

supernatural enemies was really the biggest complaint about the original game in that series, something it fixed with subsequent installments.

My limited experience and everything I've read about the new Tomb Raider just screams "copycat" and limits my interest in picking it up again :evil:
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

dsheinem wrote:
Fragems wrote:Once you hit the new enemy type you are probably less then an hour away from the end.

Jesus, does the new game borrow everything from Uncharted? I mean, the shift to

supernatural enemies was really the biggest complaint about the original game in that series, something it fixed with subsequent installments.

My limited experience and everything I've read about the new Tomb Raider just screams "copycat" and limits my interest in picking it up again :evil:

I actually liked the enemies from the original. Felt like I was killing the same 3-4 guys over and over again for the first 7-8 hours of the new Tomb Raider none of which really provided much of a challenge on normal. The main thing that kept me playing was the platforming, scenery, collectibles, and bow.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:My limited experience and everything I've read about the new Tomb Raider just screams "copycat" and limits my interest in picking it up again :evil:

Meh.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Fragems wrote:The main thing that kept me playing was the platforming, scenery, collectibles, and bow.

As I said in the screenshots thread, I feel like TR is one of the prettiest games I've played in a while. I can't help but taking tons of screenshots of the environment.

The platforming is fantastic. I'm not a big fan of 3D action/platformer games. I usually find them hard to control. This just works so well. The controls feel so flawless.

And the bow! OMG the bow is awesome. I've got the pistol, shotgun and rifle... but I'm always going back to the bow and sniping as much as possible because it's just such a fun weapon to use. Sniping dudes in the face or setting someone on fire w/ an arrow is really really satisfying haha.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:My limited experience and everything I've read about the new Tomb Raider just screams "copycat" and limits my interest in picking it up again :evil:

Meh.

Says the person who's never played an Uncharted game. I don't doubt it has its merits, but I feel like the experience has been done better and with more originality elsewhere.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:Says the person who's never played an Uncharted game. I don't doubt it has its merits, but I feel like the experience has been done better and with more originality elsewhere.

Which Uncharted game do you recommend I play 34 mins of then decide that TR is better?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Says the person who's never played an Uncharted game. I don't doubt it has its merits, but I feel like the experience has been done better and with more originality elsewhere.

Which Uncharted game do you recommend I play 34 mins of then decide that TR is better?

Uncharted 2