Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10990
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Opa Opa wrote:
pierrot wrote:Considering the trials and tribulations Square went through with FFXI alone, I don't see good things in their future keeping up three MMOs.


Really? Haven't they been fairly successful with XI?

If they have really fixed XIV enough to draw in players I don't see why it wouldn't be successful. I have no personal experience with XIV though; so I really don't know how bad it was. Maybe with this new release they'll get some good press and get a good user base.

And as far as DQ X... The Japanese will eat that up. The series was heading into MMO territory anyway what with the multiplayer aspect of DQ IX. I just hope it heads overseas... and I really don't know if that will happen. :|


Actually, Final Fantasy XI was the most profitable installment in the Final Fantasy series:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is

I also have no interest in playing a MMORPG, and I view the switch to an MMORPG as a conclusion to both the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series...(By my logic, if you have played Final Fantasy I through Final Fantasy X-2 and Dragon Quest I through IX, then you have played through every game in each series.)
User avatar
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by Dakinggamer87 Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:It's Final Fantasy. I'm there. I'll buy it. I'll play it, like I always do. I'm actually still working on my FF XIII-2 platinum right now.


Pretty much I gotta have all the main entry games in the series regardless of how much I will end up playing FFXIV :lol:
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by pierrot Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:25 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:
pierrot wrote:Considering the trials and tribulations Square went through with FFXI alone, I don't see good things in their future keeping up three MMOs.


Really? Haven't they been fairly successful with XI?

If they have really fixed XIV enough to draw in players I don't see why it wouldn't be successful. I have no personal experience with XIV though; so I really don't know how bad it was. Maybe with this new release they'll get some good press and get a good user base.

And as far as DQ X... The Japanese will eat that up. The series was heading into MMO territory anyway what with the multiplayer aspect of DQ IX. I just hope it heads overseas... and I really don't know if that will happen. :|


Actually, Final Fantasy XI was the most profitable installment in the Final Fantasy series:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is


Yeah, I guess I should have clarified: FFXI has overall been a commercial success, but if you played it around 2005-2007, there was rampant bot-ing, and gil buying, which consequently lead to soul crushing inflation in-game, and competition with people making a living off of NM camping. They lost a lot of repeat business around that time, also because there were no real options of playing the game solo, aside from leveling the Beastmaster job. I 'quit' my first time around that time, also.

I've heard that Square brought in a team of people to revitalize FFXI with Abyssea and such, and that that group is now tasked with fixing FFXIV, but I just can't imagine that they really want a business model based on digging MMOs out of the grave. They haven't really done much of interest in the last decade, though, so what the hell, right.

Also I'm not so sure that DQX really will do that well. It's a series that's marketed more toward kids; It happens to have popularity with older demographics as well partly because they grew up with the series. Maybe it won't be pay to play (in which case it wouldn't matter) but just from the look of the game so far, I don't think it really looks deep enough to keep older audiences interested for all that long, and I don't imagine all too many parents will pay monthly fees for their kids to play online. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until it's released this month to find out, though.
Image
User avatar
isiolia
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by isiolia Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 am

pierrot wrote:I've heard that Square brought in a team of people to revitalize FFXI with Abyssea and such, and that that group is now tasked with fixing FFXIV, but I just can't imagine that they really want a business model based on digging MMOs out of the grave. They haven't really done much of interest in the last decade, though, so what the hell, right.


They didn't go bring in a bunch of new people for Abyssea so much as moved more senior people over to XIV until they screwed up the launch. Then they took some of the people who were seeing success with XI and moved them to XIV, along with people with, you know, actual experience playing MMOs (the current director for XIV, relatively new to SE, was apparently a very hardcore DAoC player).
Meanwhile, content for XI returned to being frustrating :cry:

There are clearly some people who "get it" at SE. Just apparently not the ones who are usually in charge.
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by pierrot Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

isiolia wrote:They didn't go bring in a bunch of new people for Abyssea so much as moved more senior people over to XIV until they screwed up the launch. Then they took some of the people who were seeing success with XI and moved them to XIV, along with people with, you know, actual experience playing MMOs (the current director for XIV, relatively new to SE, was apparently a very hardcore DAoC player).


Thanks for the clarification. I played a bit after the three Abyssea expansions were release, but wasn't really keeping up with the politics behind the game.
Image
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19607
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I'm really sick of them releasing MMORPGs as numbered installments. FF is built on a single player legacy. You want to make an MMORPG, call it something else. This is NOT FF 14, just like FF 11 was NOT FF 11. It was just some MMORPG pretending to be


Word.

How hard would it have been to call the game Final Fantasy Online?!
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by ZeroAX Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I don't understand why they make 2 sequels for FF13, 2 random MMOs, but they still haven't thought of making one of their MMOs take part in some of their most popular Final Fantasy game worlds....like I don't know....that one everyone likes?
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso
 

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by AppleQueso Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I don't understand why they make 2 sequels for FF13, 2 random MMOs, but they still haven't thought of making one of their MMOs take part in some of their most popular Final Fantasy game worlds....like I don't know....that one everyone likes?

Ivalice?
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by ZeroAX Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:I don't understand why they make 2 sequels for FF13, 2 random MMOs, but they still haven't thought of making one of their MMOs take part in some of their most popular Final Fantasy game worlds....like I don't know....that one everyone likes?

Ivalice?


:lol:

While I personally loved FF12, I feel like I am in the minority on that one.
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso
 

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by AppleQueso Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:I don't understand why they make 2 sequels for FF13, 2 random MMOs, but they still haven't thought of making one of their MMOs take part in some of their most popular Final Fantasy game worlds....like I don't know....that one everyone likes?

Ivalice?


:lol:

While I personally loved FF12, I feel like I am in the minority on that one.


Final Fantasy Tactics takes place in Ivalice too.

FF12 is a bunch of good ideas wrapped in a bunch of misguided decisions and too much executive interference. There's a truly great game in there somewhere.
Return to Sony and Microsoft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests