Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Opa Opa

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PS4/PC)

by Opa Opa Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

FF XIV is finally coming to PS3 (and PC... again) entitled Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

trailer with some terrible narration:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MthTZ3vjKgc

In typical Square fashion the trailer doesn't really show much of anything besides pretty cut-scenes.

What are your thoughts, guys?
Last edited by Opa Opa on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm

It's Final Fantasy. I'm there. I'll buy it. I'll play it, like I always do. I'm actually still working on my FF XIII-2 platinum right now.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

I wont play this. I had the beta of XIV on the PC and have no desire to play a console MMO. The game was bad then, maybe they improved some stuff, but if I want to play an MMO there are much better options out there. It is only Final Fantasy in name really, and the only thing it really has going for it is the soundtrack.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Wait, it's an MMORPG?

Oh, so basically this isn't a Final Fantasy game

Pass
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm really sick of them releasing MMORPGs as numbered installments. FF is built on a single player legacy. You want to make an MMORPG, call it something else. This is NOT FF 14, just like FF 11 was NOT FF 11. It was just some MMORPG pretending to be
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I'm really sick of them releasing MMORPGs as numbered installments. FF is built on a single player legacy. You want to make an MMORPG, call it something else. This is NOT FF 14, just like FF 11 was NOT FF 11. It was just some MMORPG pretending to be

I hope you weren't looking forward to DQ X. :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 am

No plans to play it. I mean, it could happen, but nobody I know from XI that played XIV stuck with it. I have heard that they've improved things quite a bit though.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 am

Opa Opa wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I'm really sick of them releasing MMORPGs as numbered installments. FF is built on a single player legacy. You want to make an MMORPG, call it something else. This is NOT FF 14, just like FF 11 was NOT FF 11. It was just some MMORPG pretending to be

I hope you weren't looking forward to DQ X. :lol:

DQX seems really weird to me. From what I saw of some promotional videos in store fronts, it seems like it's going to have a chat system based on selecting predefined phrases, which is just all kinds of great for working cooperatively in an MMO. Considering that FF XIV has been hemorrhaging Square's money for the past two and a half years, I'm surprised that they want to role the dice again with their biggest franchise.

I was really into FFXI in weird way for a long time, though. It's essentially analogous to all of my past relationships: I just kept coming back for the abuse and further self-loathing.
Anyway, I was really excited for FF XIV, and made it into the beta, but my rinky-dink Macbook Pro couldn't even hit 1% on the benchmark. I've since lost all interest in it, and at this point I'll probably never bother to play it at all.

Considering the trials and tribulations Square went through with FFXI alone, I don't see good things in their future keeping up three MMOs.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 am

I'm planning on trying Final Fantasy XI at some point in the next year. However, I have no desire to play FF XIV. Square-Enix really dropped the ball on that one and I doubt the game will ever become profitable for them, even with the revamped version.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

pierrot wrote:Considering the trials and tribulations Square went through with FFXI alone, I don't see good things in their future keeping up three MMOs.

Really? Haven't they been fairly successful with XI?

If they have really fixed XIV enough to draw in players I don't see why it wouldn't be successful. I have no personal experience with XIV though; so I really don't know how bad it was. Maybe with this new release they'll get some good press and get a good user base.

And as far as DQ X... The Japanese will eat that up. The series was heading into MMO territory anyway what with the multiplayer aspect of DQ IX. I just hope it heads overseas... and I really don't know if that will happen. :|
Return to Sony and Microsoft