Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PS4/PC)

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3/PC)

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics takes place in Ivalice too.

FF12 is a bunch of good ideas wrapped in a bunch of misguided decisions and too much executive interference. There's a truly great game in there somewhere.

Yeah I know :)

And don't forget a great story if you take the 2 blank slates out of the picture xD
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics takes place in Ivalice too.

FF12 is a bunch of good ideas wrapped in a bunch of misguided decisions and too much executive interference. There's a truly great game in there somewhere.

Yeah I know :)

And don't forget a great story if you take the 2 blank slates out of the picture xD

Have you ever read up on that game's development history? Oh what could've been.

Basch was supposed to originally be the main character, for one.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

ZeroAX wrote:I don't understand why they make 2 sequels for FF13, 2 random MMOs, but they still haven't thought of making one of their MMOs take part in some of their most popular Final Fantasy game worlds....like I don't know....that one everyone likes?

Far as I recall, there's really only Ivalice that's been a consistent world between titles, not counting the direct sequels.

To be fair, the amount of world-building that goes into an online title would probably favor things going the other direction. Nevermind that the actual worlds of the online games are probably much closer to what a lot of Final Fantasy fans seem to want, or that XI (at least) has several offline games worth of story/quest content at this point.

In all seriousness, they could recreate XI + the first two expansions as an offline game and it'd probably be received as a spectacular return to form. With the possibility of doing a sequel/spinoff in the far east (ToAU) or time travel/alternate dimensions (WoTG/Abyssea).
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

AppleQueso wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Ivalice?

:lol:

While I personally loved FF12, I feel like I am in the minority on that one.

Final Fantasy Tactics takes place in Ivalice too.

I think XII is one of the more solid FF entries (although I also like FFIX) y'know, until the end, where it degrades into every other Final Fantasy.

FFXI is a really solid MMO, though. One of the only reasons it really catches flack is for not being a tradition RPG, and I suppose in some ways that's fair, but it really does have a story that fits right in with the other numbered entries into the series.
XI has some truly stunning areas to explore, and pretty engaging battle mechanics. I kind of hate the game because it takes so much damn time to do things, but for anyone staying away from the game because it's an MMO in a traditionally turn-based series, you might want to actually give it a try. There's a lot to like about the game, and it's a numbered Final Fantasy at it's core.

I still don't know what they're thinking with XIV, though. I'll admit that I was excited for it when I was still playing XI, but XIV really does not seem like it fits into the numbered series.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I think I'll give this game a try when it comes out.

I'm not totally against MMO's like some people are. The game is like $40 and a month is, I believe, $15. So if I don't like it I'm only out $55; still cheaper than a new regular console release.

And if I like the game I don't really have a problem continue paying so long as the content is fun and enjoyable.

And FF XIV should tie me over until we get (or if we get) DQ X.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Opa Opa wrote:I'm not totally against MMO's like some people are. The game is like $40 and a month is, I believe, $15. So if I don't like it I'm only out $55; still cheaper than a new regular console release.

First month should be included with the purchase price (I can't think of an MMO where this hasn't been the case).
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I have a PS3 Opa Opa, and loved FFXI on the PS2 when it gained some traction on the market. I'd be more than willing to give it a shot. Maybe we can make a RB linkshell!
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Blu wrote:I have a PS3 Opa Opa, and loved FFXI on the PS2 when it gained some traction on the market. I'd be more than willing to give it a shot. Maybe we can make a RB linkshell!

Well all right!

Good to see others interested. It would be great to have a racketboy group to grind with. 8)
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Square Enix uploaded some footage captured from the benchmark just to show off the graphics I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I38WppE345o
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I think that pretty much is a run of the benchmark, isn't it? I only ran it once, so I don't remember every detail.

Does seem like they're throwing in some updated FFXI models n' things to make it more familiar as well.