Anybody ever use the Hori PS3/360 Wheel/Flightsticks?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Anybody ever use the Hori PS3/360 Wheel/Flightsticks?

Post by fastbilly1 »

I am looking to purchase several cheap driving/flying setups for random gaming and the Hori controllers came across my radar today. Previously I had only thought about the highend logitechs - G940 and G27. But Hori products are just as reliable as Logitech in my experience, so I figured I would ask if anyone has experience with them.

We are not hardcore simplayers, we just want something thats not a keyboard/controller to play the games with. All games will be played on the PC and will be games like Outrun 2006, Metal Drift, GT4 - via emulator, Daytona USA/Scud Racer - via emulator, Red Baron, Descent 3, Sky Drift, Mech Warrior 4/LL/O, etc.

I am looking at these:
Wheel:
http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Racing-Wheel- ... roduct_top
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Xbox-360-Rac ... +360+wheel

Stick:
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Xbox-360-Fli ... ight+stick
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation- ... ight+stick

I know the wheel has a locked rotation, but I can buy four of them for the price of one G27.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody ever use the Hori PS3/360 Wheel/Flightsticks?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice controllers! The Flight Stick set especially looks tempting. The Amazon reviews for both look pretty good too. Your post alludes that only the Keyboard and Mouse is used for PC gaming. Maybe as a stepping stone a more compact controller to start out? Maybe pick up a Gravis analog stick game pad or any of your console USB controllers work.

If the smaller controller works out, you can save desk space from mounting a steering wheel or flight Stick. However, the larger controllers do offer a bit more realism in the simulation games.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

I feel that the general consencus is that Logitech make pretty good wheels and there are cheaper good ones from Logitech besides the G25, G27 series.
I have 2, GT force and a Driving Force Pro, both are excellent.
A HORI PlayStation 3 Flight Stick 3...., I´d like to have the PS2 variant to play Galaxy Force II.
And on the ps3 play:
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

CRTGAMER wrote:Your post alludes that only the Keyboard and Mouse is used for PC gaming. Maybe as a stepping stone a more compact controller to start out? Maybe pick up a Gravis analog stick game pad or any of your console USB controllers work..

Where does it allude that? I stated keyboard/controller. I have several USB controllers, but I am looking for a decent steering wheel.

d123456 wrote:I feel that the general consencus is that Logitech make pretty good wheels and there are cheaper good ones from Logitech besides the G25, G27 series.

Dont get me wrong, I love Logitech gear. Its just the cheapest USB Logitech wheel I can find new is about $100, where as the Horis are $60. And its more fun if you have four people playing than just two. How do you like your GT force?

Edit:
I found you can get Driving Force GTs for about $70 on ebay. That will most likely winout on the wheel part. Any one have any opinions on the Hori Flight sticks?
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

PM'd.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

Don't have any info as to steering wheels, I'm actually a bit interested in hearing about your experiences with some of the cheaper ones, because that may spur me on to get one.

I do however recommend the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. It's a HOTAS (obviously) flight stick compatible with the PS3 and PC. You can keep the throttle and stick connected, or have them apart, it's got 5 axes (4 when on PS3), and it allows for remapping buttons on the controller itself for when you can't remap (e.g. playing a PS3 game). I really like it, I picked it up for about $20 used, but I think it's only about $40 brand new. I'm not a flightstick expert by any means, but I've been using this stick for Descent and Freespace, and it's been rad. Highly recommend it!
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

fastbilly1 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Your post alludes that only the Keyboard and Mouse is used for PC gaming. Maybe as a stepping stone a more compact controller to start out? Maybe pick up a Gravis analog stick game pad or any of your console USB controllers work..

Where does it allude that? I stated keyboard/controller. I have several USB controllers, but I am looking for a decent steering wheel.

d123456 wrote:I feel that the general consencus is that Logitech make pretty good wheels and there are cheaper good ones from Logitech besides the G25, G27 series.

Dont get me wrong, I love Logitech gear. Its just the cheapest USB Logitech wheel I can find new is about $100, where as the Horis are $60. And its more fun if you have four people playing than just two. How do you like your GT force?

Edit:
I found you can get Driving Force GTs for about $70 on ebay. That will most likely winout on the wheel part. Any one have any opinions on the Hori Flight sticks?

I like the GT force, but I got it because several games like Battle Gear 2 are not compatible with the Driving Force Pro on the ps2.
cons of the GT Force compared to a Driving Force Pro:
-no stick shift
-few buttons that are awkwardly placed.
-The pedals are not that great
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:

Oop, I misread it. Sorry. The Amazon links you listed look like decent controllers. Do all your games listed support USB? I played Red Baron years ago with an older 15 pin Flightstick, can't remember if it had a USB option.

I use an older CH Flightstick that has the 15 pin gameport connecter. It has a built in throttle slider and foot pedals can be added for rudder control. Sometimes I would swap it out for two CH Mach 1 sticks which has individual spring lockouts, handy to make one as a throttle and rudder control.

Image Image

Looks like there are USB editions, pricey but if similar to the 15 pin versions very solid.
USB CH Flightstick: http://www.chproducts.com/Flightstick-P ... d-723.html

My older 15 pin gameport sticks are very solid, I really need to find USB adapters for them. This brings to light another point. I see older 15 pin controllers all the time at Thrift Stores and Swap Meets on the cheap. Some are real high quality, maybe this route with a USB adapter?

EDIT UPDATE
Okay, I just ordered a 15 pin Gameport to USB adapter. Be careful if you go this route, some adapters may not support multiple Hat Switches. I think the Rockfire purple version will work for my sticks since it lists CH Flightstick Pro and Thrustmaster FCS. I ended up getting the turquoise version, it seemed to be a newer version? I'll post a review once I get this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HAX7OU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://rockfire.com.tw:8880/index.php/p ... -converter

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The problem with using the older wheels and flight sticks is that the USB com adapters typically have lag. And you are right, Red Baron 3d does not support USB natively - it came out before USB took off. However it has been added in by fans. And Red Baron 3d supports it natively.

The goal is to get four of the exact same controller sets, running off of four of the same specced pcs setup in my future game room. That way when we are feeling racing games, we have four racing cabinets setup and ready to go. But if we want to do a flight sim, we can have all four outfitted in a few minutes. We would also have a tray to come down so we can do mouse/keyboard gaming. This way, there is no screen watching, it is more summersive, and really, it is just more fun.

We were looking at building them like these:

But with some modifications - like slider walls between them. It is more likely that we will build two of them (since I have two chairs from a SCUD racer cab and others are $150ish each on ebay preshipping) and having the others with table or lap mounts. This is a three to five years down the road project.

Edit:
d123456, if the wheel only has paddle shifters, thats ok. I can get some old FFB joysticks, FFShifter, and a couple hours in the shop to make my own shifter and handbrake pods. The more I read up on the GT force, the more I am liking it.

CRT, CHproducts gear is great, but expensive. The issue is I will be buying 2 or 4 sets of controllers. So that $300 setup for CHproducts, just became $600 or $1200. Now on the upside, they have the same products for a long time so it could be bought in stages.