Post by grittykitty »

why buy a ps3? i'll tell you why...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC ... 1%20minute
"riiiiiiidge raceeeerrr!"
turkey
24-bit

Re: Getting a Wii

Post by turkey »

alonzobots wrote:Xbox360 games are $60 dollars American, thats a insane amount of money, I could buy a gameboy advance sp or a used game gamecube with a controller for that much.

49.99 GBP = 93.8788 USD

welcome to uk prices :(

luckly its highly competative so deals can be found.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

grittykitty wrote:why buy a ps3? i'll tell you why...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC ... 1%20minute
"riiiiiiidge raceeeerrr!"

That's awesome :)
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

I couldnt read any of the text but thats okay.

RIIIIIIDGE RACER!
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

All this talk about how HDTVs are so rare is bullshit. Gamers are also more inclined to have better equipment than non gamers. Decent size 1280x720 HDMI TVs are at the 500 dollar range and getting cheaper all the time. I think a lot of people would love to hook up a console directly to a PC monitor which is higher than 720 usually. Game systems stick around for several years between successors so you want them to be future proof. Pushing out a higher res is a whole lot easier than pushing out more polys and special effects. Its obvious when I see posts about how 640x480 is great that these gamers haven't seen the difference a hike in resolution makes even for low end 3D games. Its not about graphics, its about making your game geometry work for your display. Draw distance doesn't mean anything at 640x480 when everything in the distance is a blob... <end rant>
turkey
24-bit

Post by turkey »

neohx_7 wrote:All this talk about how HDTVs are so rare is bullshit. Gamers are also more inclined to have better equipment than non gamers. Decent size 1280x720 HDMI TVs are at the 500 dollar range and getting cheaper all the time. I think a lot of people would love to hook up a console directly to a PC monitor which is higher than 720 usually.>

Decent size 1280x720 HDMI TVs are at the 500 dollar = 720p so 1080p is not going to be appreciated, my argument is that they are flogging a pr stunt as hardly anyone will actually see it, i think this hdtv is rare is or rather in my mind should be.. 1080p is going to be rare, especially pannels that have that as a native resolution, as to even see the difference i think its got to be above 40" anyhow possibly more...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets ... _large.jpg

this has some rez vs distance from screen comprison, so if you sit 8 foot from your 40" tv 1080p wont look any better than a 720p mathmatically as your eye would not be able to see the extra pixels. Whilst i am sure you could tell the diference it would not be great at all given a good clean image (ie digital with all the smoothing effects on it), the power to render this would be better spent on keeping the framerate high in my opinion, i just see it as hype which will never emerge, the same as their online service for the ps2 which never emerged.

They have to play on their strengths, and this is one of their key ones, but as they promised so much and delivered so little it is hard not to feel cheated by their recent e3 show.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

HD-TV marketing Voodoo

Post by Mega-Dan »

HD-tv's arent taking off because they are the most difficult product to buy I have ever seen! I am a very tech savy person and I cannot fully understand all the different specifications, there are so many different types of HD-tvs it is idiotic and self-defeating for the standard. There are 720i 480p 1080p etc and then there are ones with HDMI, and ones that are hd-tv ready (whatever that means). I think all this confusion will just cause people to wait, I know I will.
I will not buy anything less than a 1080p television, period. I think the availibility of an 1080i or 720i just confuses the issue, and will leave many people dissapointed. How long until televisions without HDMI ports are just flatout obsolete, and how long until HDMI ports themselves are replaced by some other obscure technical format? We already have the first generation of HD-tv being phased out before the format is already taking off the ground, its crazy.
I believe this is why PS3 is going to be a tough sell, because even tech heads like me are wary of buying HD-tv, its just not worth it right now because I am waiting for the dust to settle. And tell me that any body without at least a 720p television will notice the difference between a normal dvd and a blue-ray disk.

PS: what is HD-tv ready mean?
ducktapevoodoo
16-bit

Post by ducktapevoodoo »

hd ready means the tv cant do hdtv on its own but if u hook it upto a hd comverter such as hdtivo then it can do hd
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

turkey wrote:Decent size 1280x720 HDMI TVs are at the 500 dollar = 720p so 1080p is not going to be appreciated, my argument is that they are flogging a pr stunt as hardly anyone will actually see it, i think this hdtv is rare is or rather in my mind should be.. 1080p is going to be rare, especially pannels that have that as a native resolution, as to even see the difference i think its got to be above 40" anyhow possibly more...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets ... _large.jpg

this has some rez vs distance from screen comprison, so if you sit 8 foot from your 40" tv 1080p wont look any better than a 720p mathmatically as your eye would not be able to see the extra pixels. Whilst i am sure you could tell the diference it would not be great at all given a good clean image (ie digital with all the smoothing effects on it), the power to render this would be better spent on keeping the framerate high in my opinion, i just see it as hype which will never emerge, the same as their online service for the ps2 which never emerged.

They have to play on their strengths, and this is one of their key ones, but as they promised so much and delivered so little it is hard not to feel cheated by their recent e3 show.

I agree that there are diminishing returns after 720p for the size screens and distance people are usually sitting at. PC monitors/Laptops are a different ball game altogether because people sit so close. I would also argue that full motion video can look smoother and less pixelated than games at lower resolutions. I was very dissapointed by Sony in a number of ways, but I bet Nintendo could push out 720 with no problems and thats what pisses me off. Hands down, the Wii will not support a true 16:9 resolution. :( At least the games should be great.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: Why Buy a $600 PS3?

Post by swiftzx »

NECRO BUMP :lol:
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428