Mega Man X series post MMX3- Are they worth playing?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Opa Opa

Re: Mega Man X series post MMX3- Are they worth playing?

Post by Opa Opa »

Thanks for all the help guys.

So I was perusing amazon and noticed that there's a PS2 and a GameCube version...

Whenever I plan to get the collection which version should I get? I have both consoles and AFAIK the content is the same.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I have both.

I prefer the Gamecube version. It loads and saves a hair faster than the PS2 version. Also the PS2 version doesn't support component output on some TV's.

As an added bonus for the 'Cube version, an SNES controller with retroport adapter makes for a very authentic experience.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Pabstblueribbon
64-bit

Post by Pabstblueribbon »

I bought the megaman X collection for ps2 a few months ago, having only ever played X. I am not too far in (starting X3) but I've played around on X4 and X5 for a minute and my first impression was they would be really fun. I paid 18 bucks for it and I feel that I've gotten my moneys worth so far.
Flake

Post by Flake »

It is worth mentioning that Mega Man X collection for PS2 received a reprint about a month ago and new copies go on Amazon for as low as $11 shipped.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Flake wrote:It is worth mentioning that Mega Man X collection for PS2 received a reprint about a month ago and new copies go on Amazon for as low as $11 shipped.

PS2 it is then.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Some of my thoughts have possibly been said already but I have to chime in anyway as I'm a big fan of the series

Mega Man X 4 - Best game in the series, though it lost a little bit of the retro charm of the SNES games because they changed the graphical style a bit. MM X 4 was the first game to shake up the series with CD quality audio, the aforementioned graphical update, anime cutscenes and they finally pulled the trigger and made Zero fully playable with his own story mode, which differed a bit from Mega Man X's. He brought a nice, new dynamic to the gameplay with melee oriented combat. Some people say MM X 4 changed the controls which made the game awkward to play. This is just a myth in my opinion as I switched from the SNES games over to MM X 4 with no issues whatsoever.

Mega Man X 5 - Roughly on par with MM X 5 in quality, though I liked MM X 4's level designs a bit better. They ditched the anime cut scenes and it wasn't quite as revolutionary an installment for the series as MM X 4 was. One annoying thing about MM X 5 was that the story could play out in different ways, which should have been a good thing. However, the game seemed to randomly choose which path you went down and this was irritating because it affected the gameplay as well as the story. This SHOULD have been the last MM X game according to Keiji inafune

Mega Man X 6 - The story took a bit of a downturn here as this game was just a cash-in, though it did have some cool villains. The level design in MM X 6 is sloppy and the worst of the series(and yes, that includes Mega Man X 7). There's also a weird control issue with one of Zero's moves that makes one part of the game annoying to play through. The game is still playable though once you know your way around the levels. MM X 6 introduced reploids for you to save, which was a pain because it was so easy to lose them PERMANENTLY. Overall, MM X 6 is probably the hardest entry in the series. Some people love it for that. Problem is, much of the difficulty is just due to bad design.

Mega Man X 7 - Not nearly as awful as everyone says and I'd recommend it to any hardcore fan of the series. They mixed 2D and 3D gameplay. It's just awkward how they mixed the two styles and that's why the game gets a bad rap. It also had some annoying voice samples during boss fights and introduced a completely useless new character named Axel, who was basically just a way for them to keep milking the series. Overall, it's better than MM X 6 once you get used to the 2D/3D hybrid gameplay

Mega Man X 8 - They went back to 2D with this one, while keeping MM X 7's 3D visuals. MM X 8 was pretty solid and a return to form for people who didn't like the poor level design of MM X 6 or the 2D/3D hybrid gameplay of MM X 7. It's also introduced some fun new features like a tag team feature that allowed you to switch between two characters in each stage and even execute super tag team attacks with them. It's was the first Mega Man X game to feature playable females as you could unlock the ability to play as X, Zero and Axel's navigators who were all female. They basically played as clones of the main characters. The game had a cool upgrade system too and I think it had a new game plus feature

Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter X - This was a remake of the original MM X from Keiji Inafune and exclusive to the PSP. It features new visuals, a re-mixed soundtrack, and an alternate story mode where you played as Vile. It also had some awesome anime cutscenes including one, really long one that kind of rebooted the MM X storyline. Great game IMO, the new 3D graphics stayed true to the style of the original, the music remixes didn't butcher the original versions like the god awful remixes in the PC, Playstation and Saturn versions of Mega Man X 3 did. I've heard some people complain about the controls being off, but much like when I played MM X 4 I had no issues with the controls at all and I've run through the game with both X and Vile on hard mode. In my personal opinion, it's not the controls, it's the player. There was going to be remakes of Mega Man X 2 and 3 as well, which is something that Keiji had wanted to do before when the Mega Man X Collection was being talked about, but poor sales put the kibosh on that

Then you've got Keiji's Mega Man Zero series, which has a pretty good reputation though I've only ever played the first one myself. I believe there are some decent MM X games for the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance too, but I don't know much about those
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The GBC MMX games are actually extremely impressive. I played a good chunk of the first one and it's just like an 8bit downsized MMX in a cool way. I definitely recommend them for the diehards.

And I agree with Gamerforlife about the controls... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the controls jumping from the SNES games to the PSX ones. Topped off by the fact the SNES/PSX controller layouts are basically the exact samething, I never had any issue with the controls.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

^Now those are some impressive Game Boy games!

Those are definitely on my ever-growing "To Get" list.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

A tad bit off topic, but has anyone played/enjoyed Mega Man Network Transmission games for the GC? They seem really, really childish, but I have not played them myself.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

My opinions:

X4 was great. I don't feel like there was as much exploring to do as in the previous games, but I have no other complaints.

X5 felt like an uncompleted version of what might eventually have been a great game. There are some layering and camera position issues that should have been sorted out before release--and for a 2D game, that's appalling. The inclusion of multiple sets of armor was a great idea, but the new requirement of needing the entire suit before you can use any of the individual parts greatly lessens the sense of reward for exploring and discovering items.

X6 received most of the graphic and stylistic polish that X5 was missing, but unlike X5, it feels completely uninspired. Most of the challenges in the game are patently cheap: infinitely spawning enemies, large blind jumps, long areas consisting entirely of spikes, tedious mini-bosses with fifty bajillion hit points, power-ups obtained by rescuing hostages that give you only one chance ever, etc. If X5 was a diamond in the rough that desperately needed cutting, X6 is an immaculately polished turd.

X7 is highly experimental, and I give Capcom credit for that--but Capcom should have noticed the experiment was failing before they released it.

X8 fixes much of what was wrong with X6 and X7, which tempts one to think it is a great addition to the series. However, it still retains many of the flaws and bad design habits that were present in X5 and X6, even if to a lesser extent. That it's mediocrity sets it head and shoulders above the preceding two games says more about how bad those two games were than it says anything good about this one.

Unless you're really curious, or a glutton for punishment, or just a diehard fan of the series, MM X 4 is the only numbered MM X game past the SNES era that I would recommend.