Mega Man X series post MMX3- Are they worth playing?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Re: Mega Man X series post MMX3- Are they worth playing?

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Except that there's no way to skip JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE, the Wily capsule is significantly harder than the disappearing blocks, and Rush can take care of that segment in 7. JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE is definitely the second hardest part of the game... only to when it re-appears in WS1. Also, name *one* problem with 7 besides the oversized sprites. Just one. Anything you can name is also in 8, unless you really hate carts for some God-forsaken reason.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Flake

Post by Flake »

I fucking LOVE me some Jump, Jump, Slide, Slide! Probably my favorite part of the game.

I wish that the gimmick levels had stayed as much fun in future Megaman games. I think back to Megaman X8 where half the game was gimmick levels, none of them much fun.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Only two were gimmicks, and they used 3D well. Jakob's elevator was sort of a gimmick level, but it had one of the best songs in the X series and was pretty fun.
Sonicx360
24-bit

Post by Sonicx360 »

X4 was awesome, X5 was OK but not a lot of replay value, and X6 felt rehashed.

Otherwise, they all have neat soundtrack (except the boss fight theme on X6 :oops:)
R.I.P. Megaman/Rockman: December 1987-July 2011
R.I.P. Sonicx360 (YouTube): May 3, 2006-April 19, 2009
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

GameMasterGuy wrote:Except that there's no way to skip JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE, the Wily capsule is significantly harder than the disappearing blocks, and Rush can take care of that segment in 7. JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE is definitely the second hardest part of the game... only to when it re-appears in WS1. Also, name *one* problem with 7 besides the oversized sprites. Just one. Anything you can name is also in 8, unless you really hate carts for some God-forsaken reason.

I don't think 7 is a bad game but some of the bosses just were not all that memorable to me. I mean some of the designs were kinda lame, at least in my opinion(Burst man, Freeze man, Spring man, Junk man, Cloud man). Slash man, Turboman, and Shade man were cool though. I also prefer the mega man 8 weapons, as they were really fun to use except flame sword and water balloon(those sucked). The multiple Mega busters were also a nice touch and the screws added replay value as you could not afford every single powerup in the shop. In mega man 7 they may as well removed the screw thing because you could find most of the useful powerups in the stages with Rush search. On the super nintendo I kinda expected a much more fun game especially considering how awesome the X games were. But that's just my opinion, I know 7 has its fans but It just is not as fun to me as other games in the series.

And the Jump jump slide slide isn't too bad if you practice a bit. As a kid I could almost never do it, but nowadays I can do it with little trouble.
pankakes123
64-bit

Post by pankakes123 »

If you liked the first few Mega Man X games you'll like the last few as well. Same basic gameplay, and really fun with really nice sprite art.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Someone get me a butcher's knife, because it's time to polysect this post! Wait, is polysect a word? Who cares!
Godot102 wrote:
I don't think 7 is a bad game but some of the bosses just were not all that memorable to me.
Really? I'd say they top all but maybe 2's.
I mean some of the designs were kinda lame, at least in my opinion(Burst man,
I guess the boss himself wasn't that memorable besides his "trap you in a rising bubble" attack, but his arena was one of my favorites.
Freeze man,
Meh, guess you win on this one. He wasn't as bad as some of the crap 4-6 pulled, though, and he got am amazing MMBN re-imagining.
Spring man,
Is one of the most entertaining fights in the series. Sliding and jumping to dodge and weave through his attacks is highly entertaining, and is the main reason I go for him first out of the latter four RMs.
Junk man,
What isn't memorable about an RM made out of his arena?
Cloud man).
It's a fight to stay on the platform. I can't think of any other non-WS boss from the classic series that does this.
Slash man, Turboman, and Shade man were cool though.
At least you praised Turboman, otherwise I'd have thought you were trolling.
I also prefer the mega man 8 weapons, as they were really fun to use
You mean overpowered. One is basically "spam metors on the entire screen" if I recall. 10 aside, each game gets more and more ridiculously unbalanced weapons, 1 having the best balance and 9 having the most broken ideas ever.
except flame sword and water balloon(those sucked). The multiple Mega busters were also a nice touch
Taken from a couple X games, definitely 4 and I think 3.
and the screws added replay value as you could not afford every single powerup in the shop.
7 had hidden items. Who gets the proto shield on their first run? Wouldn't it be more fun to own an entire weaponry on one run than two unique parts per run?
In mega man 7 they may as well removed the screw thing because you could find most of the useful powerups in the stages with Rush search.
If you knew how. Additionally, the shop let noobs skip sidequests, as well as buy E-tanks.
On the super nintendo I kinda expected a much more fun game especially considering how awesome the X games were. But that's just my opinion, I know 7 has its fans but It just is not as fun to me as other games in the series.
Agreed, X1-3 are amazing. Still don't see why everyone hates 7 though.

And the Jump jump slide slide isn't too bad if you practice a bit. As a kid I could almost never do it, but nowadays I can do it with little trouble.

You shouldn't have to practice in 8; the reason that I hate it isn't because it's hard, it's because it's average MM difficulty whereas the rest of 8 has absolutely zero difficulty. The second segment is harder than the Wily Capsule for Treble's sake!
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

GameMasterGuy wrote:Still don't see why everyone hates 7 though.

I think the fact it was on the same console as X gives it more flak.

I can see several ways you can nitpick at it. The modified English ending where Mega goes psycho instead of frustrated silence. The comparison to the faster-paced X games make MM7 look plodding. The comparison to older NES games that make MM7 feel cramped. The bosses in MM7 were X-like in that they had terrible weakness recoil and poor AI.

Although on the flip side, if MM7 was released on the NES, critics would have probably derided it for being just "more of the same". Then again, someone actually put that to the test. They created a Windows game that was a demake of the SNES game.

I haven't played MM8, although I have it on my MM:AC (GC); it just looks reaaally different in terms of both gameplay, secrets, and boss selection.

I am surprised however that I have not really heard much spoken about Rockman vs Forte (except some quibbles that the GBA Mega Man vs Bass was a scrunched up) -- sure it was a late-release on a dead console, but it was still a pretty nifty game.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

pakopako wrote:Although on the flip side, if MM7 was released on the NES, critics would have probably derided it for being just "more of the same". Then again, someone actually put that to the test. They created a Windows game that was a demake of the SNES game.

The "NES" version looks a thousand times better, in my opinion, then the SNES version. Hot damn, I would LOVE to have an NES cart of that!
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

pakopako wrote:I am surprised however that I have not really heard much spoken about Rockman vs Forte (except some quibbles that the GBA Mega Man vs Bass was a scrunched up) -- sure it was a late-release on a dead console, but it was still a pretty nifty game.

Sorry to nitpick, but it's &, not vs. R&F is easily my number one reason for recommending someone to get into importing SFC games, and is basically MM8 done right. Most fans consider it a spin-off due to the lack of a number, however I find it to be better than any of the other classic series games besides 7 and *maybe* 3.