Playstation Vita thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Xelyx
32-bit

Re: Playstation Vita thread

Post by Xelyx »

Rocketman wrote:And Australian gamers are getting fucked over again: http://www.ebgames.com.au/vita
$348.00 for the WiFi model and $408.00 for the 3G model? Fuck that. I'm going to import that shit.

I definitely want one though.

Is the only difference that one uses WiFi and one uses 3G? Can someone explain this to me? Seriously, I just don't understand the difference between the two.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xelyx wrote:
Rocketman wrote:And Australian gamers are getting fucked over again: http://www.ebgames.com.au/vita
$348.00 for the WiFi model and $408.00 for the 3G model? Fuck that. I'm going to import that shit.

Is the only difference that one uses WiFi and one uses 3G? Can someone explain this to me? Seriously, I just don't understand the difference between the two.

One hooks up to a local wireless router and the other connects to the cell phone network. So the WiFi model online would only be usable at home or at places with free WiFi (and not necessarily all of those, some of them don't play nice with game console WiFi). The 3G model can go online pretty much anywhere.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Best thing about the PS Vista is I can now buy a brand new PSP 3000 pretty cheap.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

MrPopo wrote:
Xelyx wrote:

One hooks up to a local wireless router and the other connects to the cell phone network. So the WiFi model online would only be usable at home or at places with free WiFi (and not necessarily all of those, some of them don't play nice with game console WiFi). The 3G model can go online pretty much anywhere.

I'm assuming there would be a charge for the 3G service, then?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Xelyx wrote:I'm assuming there would be a charge for the 3G service, then?

I've only seen one device like this that didn't charge for 3G service, so unless they have some unannounced deal with a carrier, look to be paying a monthly fee.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Stark wrote:

I've only seen one device like this that didn't charge for 3G service, so unless they have some unannounced deal with a carrier, look to be paying a monthly fee.

That, combined with the fact that I have horrible cell phone reception where I live, guarantees that I will be getting the wifi-only model.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Stark wrote:

I've only seen one device like this that didn't charge for 3G service

Kindle?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

jfrost wrote:
Stark wrote:

I've only seen one device like this that didn't charge for 3G service

Kindle?

I am interested in the 3G since I already have AT&T for my carrier...but I am hesitant to preorder one until I see how they will set the rate plans. Vita games will likely be several gigabytes in size. I don't plan to download many games anyway if a retail version exists, but if they want the thing to be a machine for Netflix, full game downloads, etc - they will need to price any 3G service plan much better than the iPhone data plan.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

dsheinem wrote:I am interested in the 3G since I already have AT&T for my carrier...but I am hesitant to preorder one until I see how they will set the rate plans. Vita games will likely be several gigabytes in size. I don't plan to download many games anyway if a retail version exists, but if they want the thing to be a machine for Netflix, full game downloads, etc - they will need to price any 3G service plan much better than the iPhone data plan.

They'd have to break the trend for most 3G coverage if they're intending it to do full game downloads, Netflix, etc using that coverage. The data caps just aren't high enough to support much of it - if you compared to the iPad plans, those are like 250MB for $15/mo. and 2GB for $25/mo. Almost anything using a significant amount of data winds up having a asterisk with a "you probably want to do this on wifi" type message.

My guess would be that they'll push the 3G model for internet browsing, sync'ing trophies, small stuff like eBooks/comics...that sort of thing.

Personally though, I don't anticipate going for that model. I can see it for some people - like, if you use public transportation for commuting - but that's not my situation.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

isiolia wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I am interested in the 3G since I already have AT&T for my carrier...but I am hesitant to preorder one until I see how they will set the rate plans. Vita games will likely be several gigabytes in size. I don't plan to download many games anyway if a retail version exists, but if they want the thing to be a machine for Netflix, full game downloads, etc - they will need to price any 3G service plan much better than the iPhone data plan.

They'd have to break the trend for most 3G coverage if they're intending it to do full game downloads, Netflix, etc using that coverage. The data caps just aren't high enough to support much of it - if you compared to the iPad plans, those are like 250MB for $15/mo. and 2GB for $25/mo. Almost anything using a significant amount of data winds up having a asterisk with a "you probably want to do this on wifi" type message.

My guess would be that they'll push the 3G model for internet browsing, sync'ing trophies, small stuff like eBooks/comics...that sort of thing.

Personally though, I don't anticipate going for that model. I can see it for some people - like, if you use public transportation for commuting - but that's not my situation.

I agree. If I travel I'm driving so can't play the thing anyway, so I have no interest in the 3G model.