Playstation Vita thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ESauced
64-bit

Re: Playstation Vita thread

Post by ESauced »

I see a ton of vita memory card adapters on eBay that take a micro sd. What’s the deal with these?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2018-V3-0-SD2VIT ... SwM2xaqN4a

They’re all from China so I’m sure they’re poor quality but do these actually work? Or rather, are there vita memory cards that allow a micro as to be inserted? I know I got a PSP memory stick that was just a holder for a micro as and that worked, so has the Vita proprietary format been similarly figured out by now?
Last edited by ESauced on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

If those work, then it's amazing news. Although having the card stick out like that is hardly ideal, it's still pretty cool. I've been struggling for a while with two 16gb cards I've been juggling.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Dont mean to be a Debbie Downer here but I heard those adapter cards, and others like them, can lead to file corruption and longer load times. Just things I’ve read around from others who have used them.

I was super excited to see a cheaper solution but it’s safe to say it goes on the avoid list along with counterfeit memory cards.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

ESauced wrote:I see a ton of vita memory card adapters on eBay that take a micro as. What’s the deal with these?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2018-V3-0-SD2VIT ... SwM2xaqN4a

They’re all from China so I’m sure they’re poor quality but do these actually work? Or rather, are there vita memory cards that allow a micro as to be inserted? I know I got a PSP memory stick that was just a holder for a micro as and that worked, so has the Vita proprietary format been similarly figured out by now?

They're meant to be used in conjunction with hacking. I'm not sure if it'll even work as a memory card on stock hardware.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

casterofdreams wrote:I took a painful plunge and purchased a PS Vita Memory card, 32GB, directly from Amazon.co.jp

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Works out to about $60. The good news is that its shipped and sold by Amazon so I'll be getting one that isn't counterfeit, at least I hope.

Three days later the card came in. Wow from Japan to New York City. And I’m not even a Japan Prime member (yes it’s a separate subscription - if I can even sign up for it).

Anyway. The card is the real deal. Again expensive but it’s the only way I can ensure it was real. It does work though; of the 32GB printed on the card, 29GB of it is free.
Last edited by casterofdreams on Sat May 19, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Does anyone have the Hori remote play grip and remote play PS4 games with it? I just bought one and I’m wondering what PS4 games work well with it. I’m contemplating rebuying overwatch (I’ve got it on Xbox One), just so I can play it in bed. I’ve also thought about getting Resident Evil 4 and replaying that on Vita.

Does anyone have any recommendations for games that have good mappings for remote play or allow remapping to the back touchpad so the remote play grip is useful?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The 32GB vs. 29GB thing is because of how they measure kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes in marketing vs. the actual definition on a computer. In marketing terms, they use 1000 bytes = 1 KB, 1000 KB = 1 MB, and 1000 MB = 1 GB. That's not how your computer measures it, though; 1024 bytes = 1 KB, 1024 KB = 1 MB, and 1024 MB = 1 GB. That discrepancy adds up really fast, so a "32GB" card is actually a 29.8 GB card according to your computer, if I've done my math right.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge, you missed a chance to go far more pedantic. So I'll take the bullet for you :wink:
The original "megabyte" was 1024 kilobytes, because base 2 (binary) math doesn't produce nice, round base 10 numbers. The problem, however, is that "mega" means 1 million, not 1024000. So in an effort to make things more accurate AND save costs, drive and disk manufacturers decided to switch to the true meanings of kilo and mega. Thus, a megabyte became 1000000 bits. But Apple and Microsoft and Linux continue to use the now-inaccurate mega and kilo designators. So the flash card is delivering one definition of a gigabyte, but the OS expects a different definition. And since the OS expects a gigabyte to be more bytes than the flash card does, it looks smaller when in use. There's another factor at play here as well, and that is that the partition, formatting, and file system overhead take up space as well, also robbing you of some of your available space.

By the way, there is still an accurate term for 1024 bytes. Since a kilobyte (KB) is 1000 bytes, a kibibyte (KiB) is 1024 bytes. A megabyte (MB) is 1 million bytes, and a mebibyte (MiB) is 1048576 bytes. Likewise, a gigabyte (GB) is 1 billion bytes and a gibibyte (GiB) is 1073741824 bytes.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I don't think making things more accurate was ever in the minds of the storage manufacturers. I'm pretty sure it was always to save costs; I picture t as some new employee asking about why a kilobyte is more than 1000 and then some marketing guy overheard.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I don’t know the science behind how storage is manufactured but I knew I was going to get less on the card.

I have a 1TB hard drive that gave me 931GB.

But nonetheless, if anyone is in the market for a Vita memory card and is not willing to roll the dice with what’s sold in the States (counterfeit or used market) buying* from Amazon Japan gets you a genuine card shipped* to the US as long as it’s shipped and sold by Amazon. I just purchased a second one and the exchange rate made it cheaper than the first one.

*edit for spelling.