Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Fatal Frames-Originals and Reprints

by Xeogred Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 am

Godot102 wrote:I actually have fatal frame 3. I bought it a couple months ago when Playasia had it on sale. Have yet to play it but I really want to since this series looks really good. Is it okay for me to jump into the series at the 3rd game or should I go seek out the other 2 and play those first?

I haven't played 3, and 2 was disconnected enough from the original for the most part, but yeah I think it might be best to start at the beginning.

Went ahead and ordered all three of them off Amazon today myself! Just couldn't beat those prices. Came to $50 for all of them and free shipping.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am

I hit all the local Gamestops to compare the Fatal Frame series for game Manuals and Cover Inserts. It turned out a couple of the stores had the original thicker cover manuals, thicker case inserts and memory card holder cases. These are indicators of a first edition for the first Fatal Frame. I also found a Reprint of Fatal Frame 2 confirming mine has the original thicker manual. The employee let me have the manuals and cover inserts for Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame II, so now have both styles. As for Fatal Frame III, I could only find the thinner cover manual and thinner case insert with the newer non memory card holder PS2 case. Maybe the later released Fatal Frame III came with only the thinner covers in the game manual?

The only real drastic change I can see is the first Fatal Frame. The Manual cover has a different picture and the inner pages are a little different as described in the OP. The case insert also has a couple of differences in the pictures and font size of the company logo.

As for the disc content of all three Fatal Frames of Original Run vs Reprint? This is my biggest concern, should I swap discs to get the first edition that has slight scratches or keep the reprint which is brand new and retagged as used thru gamestop? It is very likely to have the exact same content. Note the disc label in the first Fatal Frame of both the reprint and 1st edition posted in the OP. The pic of the demon matches the original Manual cover and not the reprint manual. Based on the label, the discs seem to be identical with the same content, the pristine reprint game discs seem to be the ones to keep.

In a related situation, I picked up Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne which is also a Reprint. The employee confirmed to me that it came directly from the distribution center. The disc, manual and case are pristine as if new and retagged as used just like the Fatal Frame reprints. I hit all the other local gamestops in trying to get the first edition but only reprints could be found. The 1st editions of Nocturne include a bonus music CD and thicker cover manual. The original manual also has color inner pages vs black and white inner pages of the reprint manual.

Nocturne is almost the same story as Fatal Frame series. This tends to confirm that even though the manuals might be different and if the not a Greatest Hits game, reprint game discs are identical to First Edition discs.

Devhatesyou wrote:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/582958-/54669284

The game disc in the reprint versions is identical to the original down to the fact it still has "Disc 1" printed on the print-side surface. The game should load almost all things instantly on a PS2 or original backwards-compatible PS3. Mine sure did when I got a reprint copy of this.

The real differences are:

- Original version had a Soundtrack CD.
- Original version's disc case was obviously designed with one of those extra disc carrying pieces you can clip into the case, for the soundtrack.
- Reprint has Black&White manual with color cover.
- The backside of the cover art has a little bit which says "INCLUDES SOUNDTRACK CD" in the original. Not there in the reprint.

Digital Devil Saga's reprints are similar, too. Except they have full color manuals, I think.

My reprint does have "Disc 1" on the label above the Playstation logo! A tease that I don't have the bonus disc 2 music sampler. A reprint that might have different content surely would not have that "Disc 1" stamped on the disc label. At least the game itself is identical to the 1st edition.
Attachments
Shi Megami Tensei Nocturne.jpg
Shi Megami Tensei Nocturne.jpg (186.42 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am

i imagine that if any of these reprints have any alteration to the game content at all, it'd be something really, really minor like correcting bugs or fixing typos. All of these games have pretty dedicated fanbases, so I guarantee if there was a significant difference with these reprinted versions there'd be people talking about it.

So Nocturne got a reprint now? I can finally snag a copy for a reasonable price then!

Looks like the Digital Devil Saga games might've gotten reprints now too. Seems like a nice time to be on the hunt for Ps2 RPGs.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Holy hell, I've been interested in Nocturne since forever. I don't think I can get into the Persona games, but the Shin Megami Tensei games look awesome.
Godot102
64-bit

by Godot102 Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Xeogred wrote:Holy hell, I've been interested in Nocturne since forever. I don't think I can get into the Persona games, but the Shin Megami Tensei games look awesome.

Shin Megami Tensei is pretty damn good. I m currently playing Strange journey and Its one of the most amusing rpgs I've played on the DS.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 am

Now if only the Shadows Hearts games would get a reprint, lol...
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:19 pm

I hate gamestop high prices for fatal frame and some rpg games. They trick you into buying 3 each for the same price while xbox version is low. I wanted to buy a playstation acessory and I ask the guy is it the same price as online, and he said yes. I asked authentic sony brand product with the price I mentioned earlier. He brings me a generic third party brand with a different price, wtf. I left with nothing..
I actually have fatal frame 1 on hdloader currently. It would be cool if they would re-release ps3 port.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Godot102
64-bit

by Godot102 Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 am

It would be cool if they would release the Fatal frame 2 Wii-release in the U.S.....So far its a Japan/Euro exclusive...
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:53 pm

This thread inspired me to pick up a copy of the first game for Xbox. I just recently started playing it and OH MAN, it's great.
Great and also jibbley-inducing...
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Even if it doesn't turn out good, I just had to pick it up purely on novelty - Spirit Camera on the 3DS, "spiritual successor" to Fatal Frame.
Return to Sony and Microsoft