Halo fans are retarded.

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

kinn wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:
kinn wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Same here. I can't do anything with sticks.

Thank god! I thought that I was the only one!

Add me to the list. This would make a good poll...

True.

While were at it, we could also see how many people invert controls as well maybe?
I invert controls on sticks. Can't play it whatsoever if it isn't inverted. Tho, I am somewhat handy with sticks...
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Hahaha, someone bashes Halo we get four pages of posts. I could argue that this alone shows how great a game Halo is that it gets such a reaction while some other topic will just quickly die.

I will say this, Halo WASN'T the first great console FPS, but you have to realize something. There was really no great console FPS games out at the time of its release. People had already played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to death. There was nothing else notable in the genre if you weren't a PC gamer. They wanted something new, and they wanted something that would show off the Xbox's technology. The system needed a killer app. Plus, people were sick of World War II FPS games, Halo gave them something Sci Fi.

Also, while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had good controls, they didn't match Halo's control scheme, which was so good it became a standard in quite a few other games. The controls were so simple that it made it possibly the most accesible FPS game ever. I've seen people's girlfriends who aren't gamers join in on Halo games. In fact, it's impressive how big the original Halo's multi-player wasgiven that Bungie was more focused on the story mode(unlike Halo 2)

Bottom line, Halo DOES deserve all the attention it gets. Halo 2 on the other hand, was a crappy, sell out sequel. That's all I've got to say about that. Here's how I look at the original Halo, whether one thinks it's a revolutionary game or not, it had great graphics, solid gameplay and controls, a GREAT soundtrack and a good story with quality voice acting. It was a good game. Though in fairness, the stages started to repeat themselves too much, marine AI was stupid, and the game would have been great with just the Covenant and not the boring, lame Flood

Oh, and here's one more gamer who prefers control pads for fighters, I was decent with sticks in the actual arcades back in the day, but not completely comfortable with them, and I never found a home console arcade stick that I could use well at all. Most of them are just not built as well as the ones actually used in the arcades

Oh, and the comment someone made earlier about getting weird looks for preferring LAN parties to sporting events, SCREW SPORTING EVENTS!!! Actually, I have nothing against sports, but I hate the herd-like devotion to sports in some parts of this country, particularly football. It's like sports is a religion to some people, and they think you're weird or not a real male if you have no interest in them.

Oh, and finally I would agree that mouse and keyboard are faster and more accurate than controllers. However, I hate playing anything with a mouse and keyboard, which is one of the reasons why the number of PC games I have played over the years is relatively small.
kinn
64-bit

Post by kinn »

Gamerforlife wrote:
Also, while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had good controls, they didn't match Halo's control scheme, which was so good it became a standard in quite a few other games.

To be fair, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were on the N64 which only had 1 analogue stick.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

kinn wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
Also, while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had good controls, they didn't match Halo's control scheme, which was so good it became a standard in quite a few other games.

To be fair, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were on the N64 which only had 1 analogue stick.

True, who knows? One could argue that Rare could have made a game as impactful as Halo given the Xbox's controller and technology. Though Perfect Dark Zero was not quite as well received as Rare and Microsoft hoped. Rare blew its chance to regain the console FPS throne. Right now people think Gears of War is on that throne. Odd, considering that it's not even really an FPS game. Frankly, I think the original Halo is better than GOW. Gears has uninspired, stereotypical characters, gameplay that is MORE repetitive than Halo, and boring enemies(I just LOVED the Covenant in the original Halo). I played through Gears once, I did have some fun, but never had a desire to play it again. I played through Halo multiple times. I traded in Gears for Viva Pinata which was a MUCH more memorable game

You know I never did like the N64 controllers, not too fond of the Gamecube controller either. I wish someone could explain why Nintendo insists on making such weird controllers. I haven't loved a Nintendo controller since the S-NES days
nocturnalnerd
64-bit

Post by nocturnalnerd »

Gamerforlife wrote:
kinn wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:

True, who knows? One could argue that Rare could have made a game as impactful as Halo given the Xbox's controller and technology. Though Perfect Dark Zero was not quite as well received as Rare and Microsoft hoped. Rare blew its chance to regain the console FPS throne. Right now people think Gears of War is on that throne. Odd, considering that it's not even really an FPS game. Frankly, I think the original Halo is better than GOW. Gears has uninspired, stereotypical characters, gameplay that is MORE repetitive than Halo, and boring enemies(I just LOVED the Covenant in the original Halo). I played through Gears once, I did have some fun, but never had a desire to play it again. I played through Halo multiple times. I traded in Gears for Viva Pinata which was a MUCH more memorable game

You know I never did like the N64 controllers, not too fond of the Gamecube controller either. I wish someone could explain why Nintendo insists on making such weird controllers. I haven't loved a Nintendo controller since the S-NES days

This may just be because the N64 is my main console, but I prefer the Rare fps's
to Halo. Perfect Dark had more cool weapons. Proximaty mine guns are awesome.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Controls similar to Halos were in Goldeneye under the two controller option (2.1 I think but dont hold me to that). Personally I set Halo's controls to Legacy Southpaw, thus duplicating Goldeneye's default.

And yeah I could care less about sporting events. I spent the last superbowl playing a boardgame and, if I can get more players, I plan on doing it again - this time it will be Twilight Imperium 3, last time it was Battlelore. Though if it is only one other player Battlelore it is.

Actually I just had another thought. If folk want we could do some Kalleria action during it. Six player Xmen would be nice.

And again I realize most people are not uptodate with boardgames:
TI3:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12493
Battlelore:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25417
Battlelore is simply one of the best games of any type to ever be made. So much so that I broke out the paints and started painting the figurines today. If you were wondering painting skills are lost if ou dont use them for sevenish years, ironically some of my old paints were still good.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

I have met many people quick to point out all that Halo does wrong, and all it isn't the best at. But I have never met anyone oblivious to it's faults like a true fanboy. It is a good game though, so I wouldn't call it's fans retarded. Of course the raving lunatics that worship it like the second coming are, but people like that are retarded regardless of their object of affection.

Madden fans however, are retarded.
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

wyatt wrote:I have met many people quick to point out all that Halo does wrong, and all it isn't the best at. But I have never met anyone oblivious to it's faults like a true fanboy. It is a good game though, so I wouldn't call it's fans retarded. Of course the raving lunatics that worship it like the second coming are, but people like that are retarded regardless of their object of affection.

Madden fans however, are retarded.

The gaming community in general is very bandwagonish. A game gets popular enough and NO ONE wants to say anything bad about it. Some games take on a sacred like quality where it's like you're not allowed to say anything negative about them. Many of the biggest gaming franchises around have lots of obvious flaws, but nobody wants to mention them. Final Fantasy games have numerous design flaws, Zelda never evolves and Mario, despite how wonderfully fun many of his games are, is one of the most retarded characters ever conceived. A fat plumber who beats enemies by somehow lifting his fat butt off the ground and landing on them? He's so eighties and yet Nintendo STILL makes games based on him. I honestly don't think anyone thinks Mario is cool anymore, but the games are usually very well put together so we still play them.

I could bash every huge franchise out there, but I try to be objective and look at everything, pros and cons regardless of hype and acclaim. Halo had its fair share of problems, but it had some epic, cinematic moments and one of the funniest, most entertaining alien races ever.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You need to watch farscape chief.

But to reiterate the point that I think I made earlier, here are three sets of books yall might want to read if you think the story is great (or just find plot summaries for them):
The Night's Dawn trilogy - Peter F Hamilton
The Culture books - Iain M Banks
The Starhammer series - Christopher Rowley

Years ago this would be called theft, now it is called an amage.

Multiplayer is a different ballgame, it actually combined many elements that had not been done previously and provided a very good experience. Granted nowadays most everyone I know that talks about it talks about MLG or CAL and will chastise you if you dont use their rule sets. I am sorry I like playing with all rocket launchers in the hallway stage. Its even better with 16 people and a kill count of 100, or if you play team head.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I thought my thread was supposed to be about people overlooking auto-aim. What the hell happened?