Any Train Simulator and/or Densha De Go players?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ImportBoy
64-bit

Any Train Simulator and/or Densha De Go players?

Post by ImportBoy »

Any players of Ongakukan's Train Simulator series or Densha De Go here?

I have the Keisei/Toei Asakusa/Keikyu Lines for PS2. Pretty good simulation over all and I was very pleased with it. I also just recently imported the Kyushu Shinkansen for PS2. Good also, just wish there were a few more choices of trains and routes. I'm trying to find some of the other PS2 games in the series but they seem pretty rare and hard to find.

I've yet to play any of the Densha De Go series. I'm hoping to pick up the Saturn and Dreamcast versions, along with the special train controllers, to add to my collection. The new Wii version looks awesome from the screenshots I've seen.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

How again are these games fun. Like, I'm not trying to bash them, just since you like them, what about them is fun?
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

How again are these games fun. Like, I'm not trying to bash them, just since you like them, what about them is fun?

That question does get asked quite a lot. Well, I think an interest in trains in pretty much a must if you are going to get any fun out of them. I wouldn't tell anyone just to go pick one up. As for myself I've always been interested in trains (and driving trains for that matter). I tried Microsoft Train Simulator and it didn't seem very realistic to me.

Ongakukan's Train Simulator games actually use real footage taken from the engine cabin on JR and other lines in their games. As such they end up often being super-realistic. The latest title in the series, Railfan on PS3, actually had a helicoper following every train and put cameras in various areas of each station. So basically you can get tons of views of every train. From the two I've played they actually do a job in how they use the video footage combined with the actions of the player.

As for Densha De Go I think it is more arcade like (Tokyo Bus Driver anyone?) but I've yet to try it myself. [/quote]
-ImportBoy
Perseid
32-bit

Post by Perseid »

You might want to try Trainz 2006 for the PC. It looks decent, feels realistic and, most importantly, is in English! :) Takes a monster computer to run it, though.

I've played Densha de Go for the PSP. It was neat. It didn't feel as deep as the PC simulators, but that may have been because I couldn't read anything.
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

You might want to try Trainz 2006 for the PC.

I'm hoping to pick this one up eventually. What kind of machine are you running?
-ImportBoy
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Perseid wrote:Takes a monster computer to run it, though.
What's a monster computer to you? Honestly, I just took a look and I wouldn't be suprised if I could play it on my computer (on board graphics and the intel Extreme 2, not the ATi onboard). Looks like Half-life. :?
Perseid
32-bit

Post by Perseid »

Honestly it doesn't look as good as you'd think considering how much it stresses your system, but I ran it on my AthlonXP 1500+ with an FX 5200 with MANY graphics options turned way down, which didn't surprise me. But my AthlonXP 3700+ with a 7900GT still makes me turn some options down. So while you can probably run it it comes down to how fast/pretty you can get it.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Perseid wrote:Honestly it doesn't look as good as you'd think considering how much it stresses your system, but I ran it on my AthlonXP 1500+ with an FX 5200 with MANY graphics options turned way down, which didn't surprise me. But my AthlonXP 3700+ with a 7900GT still makes me turn some options down. So while you can probably run it it comes down to how fast/pretty you can get it.
hm...I would think it would be the physics engine and the amount of things rendered then. I'm no programmer so don't necesarily take my word for it, but it sounds like a pretty inneficient rendering engine is all. Had they went and used an established engine, such as the Source engine or DOOM3 engine, it would probably look better and not require so much resources, as honestly, it doesn't look like it should take that much. :? But like I said, it could be the fancy physics.