Playstation memory card solution?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Playstation memory card solution?

Post by dsheinem »

akeley wrote:I`m currently considering getting one of the non-Sony 4MB/8MB ones. Are they really as unreliable as some say? Did anybody actually had an experience with them failing or is it just one of these things people say?

They are actually as bad as people say.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

akeley wrote:I`m currently considering getting one of the non-Sony 4MB/8MB ones. Are they really as unreliable as some say? Did anybody actually had an experience with them failing or is it just one of these things people say?

I think you'll be fine if you use them on a PS1. But I've had some old third party ps1 memory cards that dont work at all on a PS2. They dont show up at all when you try to access them from the PS2 menu. But I pop them back into a PS1 and they work fine.

So depending on the game, you may need to shuffle the save file around to a better memory card.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I have several third-party PS1 memory cards and they work great. Brand probably makes all the difference, though. I had a couple of double-sided Performance memory cards that were very good. I wouldn't recommend any of the "16X" or other ridiculous cards, because I believe they do some compression and can easily get corrupted. The double-sided ones just had a switch to change sides.

Also, the DexDrive is cool stuff. I've still got mine, and it's the easiest way to keep your games backed up. There might also be ways to pull off saves using an exploited PS2 and put them on USB.

If you go the DexDrive route, use Dexter as your software instead of the OEM-supplied program. Also, it requires a serial port, which many machines don't have anymore.
akeley
8-bit

Post by akeley »

Ah ok, thanks, think I will just risk it with couple of cheap 1MB ones from ebay. Or maybe 1 decent one and try to be economical. Have two atm anyway, but they fill fast...

Had a look at the DexDrive yesterday, very cool, but seems rare & expensive in the market.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

slowslow325 wrote:My experience with third party memory cards says to NEVER get them if you care about your memory. It would probably just be easier to have multiple reliable cards laying around than one Mad Catz one. It will work at first, but them it will magically erase all your data.

This
Perhaps there are 3rd party memory cards that do not suck, but most do.
You will lose your data at some point. But if that's no problem, then just buy 2rd party
They also will eventually stop working.

I think this goes for all peripherals for all systems ever, 3rd party is always crap and at some point you end up regretting it. Some say they have no problems, but I wonder how frequent they use their 3rd party equipment. Also, it's just a bad investment.
Exceptions are Hori & Logitech/Logicool and perhaps some really expensive joysticks.

I have two damned 3rd party ps memory cards now in my ps. They will not save at all. The game says: 'no memory card' found. I have locate my official memory cards.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

As a rule that I like to firmly abide by, stay away from all third party memory cards. I have a few that never gave me any issues, but I have a few that lost my saves. Personally, I just don't feel like figuring out the hard way which ones are OK and which ones suck.

The PS3 memory card adapter is great. You can transfer your PS1 saves to/from virtual memory cards on the PS3. The downside is it requires a PS3 and the memory card adapters aren't cheap.

The Dex Drive is cool, if you don't mind using old hardware and software.

Another option is using a PS2 with FMCB. This will allow you to copy/paste saves files from a memory card (PS1 or PS2) to a USB stick, and vise versa. What I like about this is that even a small USB stick can hold MANY saves, and you can easily back them up on your computer for safe keeping.

d123456 wrote:I have two damned 3rd party ps memory cards now in my ps. They will not save at all. The game says: 'no memory card' found. I have locate my official memory cards.

Try cleaning the memory cards just like you would a game cart. The pins might be dirty.
akeley
8-bit

Post by akeley »

Well, you swayed me towards the Official ones... Just got a couple off ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122400788647?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They`re ugly, but you can haggle with the guy: managed to get two for 7 quid.