Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
AppleQueso

Playstation memory card solution?

by AppleQueso Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 am

A question to those who own large PS1 collections, what do you do about game saves? The ps1 memory cards don't hold much to say the least, so I was thinking there had to be an alternative to having tons and tons of memory cards lying around and trying to remember which games are on what. So what do you guys do?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or has been asked before, I searched around a bit but couldn't come up with a good way to word my search.
elvis
128-bit

Re: Playstation memory card solution?

by elvis Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 am

I've got a 4MB PSX memory card. 1MB is the standard, but this one has a small switch on top to choose between one of four slots.

You can't access all 4MB at once, and need to remove the card to switch between them. But the upside of course is that I don't need 4 cards lying around.

Googling about, there seems to be quite a number of similar cards still for sale today.
DonSilvestre
32-bit

by DonSilvestre Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 am

I picked up a PS3 which allows you to have as many virtual memory cards as you want on the hard drive. I know that's not a viable solution for everyone - but I love having wireless controllers + infinite save space when I play PS1.
"Let's attack aggressively." - Sully | The Don's Mancave
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am

The DEX Drive will take your existing Sony PS1 memory card and transfer through PC serial port.
There is a N64 version as well. I have these they do work, all kinds of room on the PC hard drive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexDrive

To get one, E-Bay is your expensive friend.

Here is a way to do it with a PS2, little more involved process.
http://retrogamedepot.com/blog/sony-pla ... emory-card

elvis wrote:I've got a 4MB PSX memory card. 1MB is the standard, but this one has a small switch on top to choose between one of four slots.

You can't access all 4MB at once, and need to remove the card to switch between them. But the upside of course is that I don't need 4 cards lying around.

Googling about, there seems to be quite a number of similar cards still for sale today.

There is a 4x Silver and a 8x Gold color card by Mad Catz. Basically either 4 or 8 banks of memory that you can switch with button on the memory card. I have pretty good luck with the 8x. Sony brand Memory are the most reliable though.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 pm

My experience with third party memory cards says to NEVER get them if you care about your memory. It would probably just be easier to have multiple reliable cards laying around than one Mad Catz one. It will work at first, but them it will magically erase all your data.
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:12 pm

emulate?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Jayson
64-bit

by Jayson Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:02 am

slowslow325 wrote:My experience with third party memory cards says to NEVER get them if you care about your memory. It would probably just be easier to have multiple reliable cards laying around than one Mad Catz one. It will work at first, but them it will magically erase all your data.

I just ended up buying a couple of 3rd party (I think they are actually third world party LOL!) memory cards because original PS1 ones are so hard to find for a decent price. I figure I will give these a go and see how they work out before I drop the cash on the OG used ones.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am

Jayson wrote:
slowslow325 wrote:My experience with third party memory cards says to NEVER get them if you care about your memory. It would probably just be easier to have multiple reliable cards laying around than one Mad Catz one. It will work at first, but them it will magically erase all your data.

I just ended up buying a couple of 3rd party (I think they are actually third world party LOL!) memory cards because original PS1 ones are so hard to find for a decent price. I figure I will give these a go and see how they work out before I drop the cash on the OG used ones.

SWAP MEET! I always see Sony PS1 memory cheap there.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jayson
64-bit

by Jayson Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:38 am

CRTGAMER wrote:SWAP MEET! I always see Sony PS1 memory cheap there.

There's an idea that I didn't think of... So used to buying stuff online!

There's one at the local junior college every Saturday that I may try and hit this weekend.
akeley
8-bit

by akeley Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:02 am

I`m currently considering getting one of the non-Sony 4MB/8MB ones. Are they really as unreliable as some say? Did anybody actually had an experience with them failing or is it just one of these things people say?
Return to Sony and Microsoft