Team Ico-Shadow Colossus Secrets-Last Guardian Fumito Ueda

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Scooter
Next-Gen

Re: Team Ico

Post by Scooter »

Anayo wrote:Stuff like this makes me want a PS3.

Tomb Raider was the reason I bought a PS1 and Gran Turismo 3 was the reason I bought a PS2. I too would finally break down and buy a PS3 (probably an older backwards compatible version). Ico and SotC are such remarkable games, I'd really hate to miss the next one. Hmmm. Nearly $400 just to play one game? Doesn't matter, I'd do it. And probably pick up a lot of older PS3 games along the way.
Ow! My small intestine!
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Stellar games, both. I will be taking a day or two off work when Last Guardian comes out and getting FUCKING HYPED in the meantime. I would expect we will get more news and video of the game at E3. Still no release date other than 2010, but I'm betting on November.

Not sure why the OP is comparing Ico to God of War so much, though. Both are very cinematic, but anyone looking for the action of God of War in Ico might be pretty disappointed.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

RadarScope1 wrote:Not sure why the OP is comparing Ico to God of War so much, though. Both are very cinematic, but anyone looking for the action of God of War in Ico might be pretty disappointed.

The scenery blows you away in both of these games.
Ico is not an action game but I thought some of the interaction in the puzzles were similiar.

ICO

GOD OF WAR
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

OK, yeah, puzzle elements are similar, too. I can see that.
(-_-)
64-bit

Post by (-_-) »

The stuff they've done is definitely gorgeous and I expect nothing less of the last Guardian. I remember him saying in an interview that this third game would have a combination of the elements that made up ico and shadow of the colossus or somethign along those lines. In Ico this was touch or contact with the girl ( I forgot her name). Shadow of the colossus this was scaling the environement. Really excited for this one.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Come to think of it Shadow got a cameo here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/31/shado ... dle-flick/

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

The coolest thing about SotC appearing in that movie was the fact that the guy was obsessed over his dead wife, which fit the theme of theme of the film. That part of the game's story was never mentioned in the film at all, so you'd have to have played the game to make that subtle connection. I really enjoyed the movie, too.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Comparing ICO NTSC and PAL

Turns out to be substantial differences on each release.

The best news is PAL has a 60hz mode!

http://www.eurogamer.net wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_p ... _id=138474

ICO - PAL vs NTSC? PS2

rodpad
04 Feb '09 14:20:02
Other than the PAL version's much better picture, does anybody know what other differences there are between the two versions?

Blerk
04 Feb '09 14:21:48
The PAL version is actually finished and not just a 'get it out for Christmas' rush job.
Plus it has the two-player mode, the Yorda translation mode, etc. It's the best version.

JetSetWilly
04 Feb '09 14:23:04
The PAL version has the infernal piston puzzle.

Blerk
04 Feb '09 14:28:04
When I played it again recently, I did that puzzle first time. It was weird. I got stuck there for 20 minutes the first time around.

Obiwanshinobi
04 Feb '09 14:44:58
Reportedly PAL and NTSCJ versions have improved AI, optional multiplayer mode, Yorda and Queen lines translated, optional film effect post-processing and additional secret weapon (lightsaber) after the first playthrough, more complex shadows, some locations/puzzles modifyied (waterfall)... Nevertheless, one bloke on certain forum claimed that US version looks "prettier" (in places). Apparently distant textures are more detailed when zoomed in US version.

JetSetWilly
04 Feb '09 14:47:06
I thought I was going mad when I encountered it. I didn't realise it wasn't in the NTSC version, so when I capitulated and crawled off to the NTSC walkthroughs on gamefaqs I was tearing my hair out!

Blerk
04 Feb '09 14:47:19
Why would they ever lower the texture detail for the other regions?

valli
04 Feb '09 14:55:27
I think it has to do with the ugly PS2 filtering at distance. Certain textures (with grid structures, lines, checker boards) look weird on interlace CRT TVs.
The NTSC signal benefits of this by providing a more stable 60Hz picture, as opposed to PALs 50. It does make a minor difference, esp. when viewing side by side.

valli
04 Feb '09 14:56:12
PAL has more lines and better colour rendition!

Obiwanshinobi
04 Feb '09 15:00:38
Blerk wrote:
Why would they ever lower the texture detail for the other regions?
Well, I haven't seen it. I'm only reporting what that bloke claimed. Note that distant objects in PAL version lack some details, which is a typical optimisation trick. When zoomed, they are still less detailed compared to the same objects watched from near. If I understood correctly, zoom in US version switches those details back on. It's about scaling the level of details.

valli wrote:
I think it has to do with the ugly PS2 filtering at distance. Certain textures (with grid structures, lines, checker boards) look weird on interlace CRT TVs.
The NTSC signal benefits of this by providing a more stable 60Hz picture, as opposed to PALs 50. It does make a minor difference, esp. when viewing side by side.
Ico PAL has 60 Hz option. 50 Hz in this particular game is pure evil though.

Edited by Obiwanshinobi at 15:10:51 04-02-2009
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

env963
128-bit

Post by env963 »

I am also very excited for the new game from team ico!

I do own both Shadow and ico.. both awesome games!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

An unofficial Japan cover version of ICO. Reminds me of an old Japanese print.
Attachments
Ico Japanese Custom Case.jpg
Ico Japanese Custom Case.jpg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.