Dragon Age Origins

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
MrPopo

Dragon Age Origins

Post by MrPopo »

So yesterday this game came out. I originally wasn't interested, since I had heard that it was a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which I could never get into. And for some strange reason I thought it had a large online component I wasn't interested in. Then during some of my internet crawling I read a hands on and saw that my preconceptions were wrong. While it might be a spiritual successor in terms of storytelling its gameplay is rooted more firmly in the realm of KOTOR (which is also a Bioware production). The default view is the third person view so similar to KOTOR but you also have the option, on the PC, of zooming out to a more tactical view like in BG. I haven't had an occation to feel the need to use it yet, but I'm hoping sometime down the road I will.

I'm hoping other people will let us know their impressions, but I wanted to talk about something specific that I really appreciated. This is a game done cross platform properly. The PC version was clearly done by people who understood the strengths of the platform and how to provide an optimal experience for it. I'll compare it to Bioshock which is very clearly dumbed down to suit the console control scheme. Not so, the PC version of Dragon Age. You get a WoW style bottom bar that goes from 1-0, and then can be expanded across the entire bottom of the screen with a bunch of clickable buttons. The console version has its own method of accessing abilities that is suited for their controls. It is extremely refreshing to see a developer take the man-month to adjust the interface to suit the fundamentally different capability of the PC controls. It's good to see that at least one developer can still show proper treatment of the PC.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Peachy Gaming
24-bit

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Post by Peachy Gaming »

Bioware seems to have a good record for making good games so far. I have been looking at this game for a while now and I have been trying to decide which system to get it for.. Does anyone know or think the pc version is better than the ps3 one?
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Peachy Gaming wrote:Bioware seems to have a good record for making good games so far. I have been looking at this game for a while now and I have been trying to decide which system to get it for.. Does anyone know or think the pc version is better than the ps3 one?

The PC is supposed to be far superior, for the control scheme pointed out above, and the console counterparts are supposed to have some annoying graphical bugs.
Peachy Gaming
24-bit

Post by Peachy Gaming »

Well does everyone play online together from the different consoles and pc? Or do they each have their own dedicated server?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I really want to play this, but from everything I've read this seems geared more towards the PC crowd and every Bioware game I've enjoyed has been on console. Little dissapointed, my PC is not all that great. I'm sure this is an awesome game though. Bioware usually delivers on quality. It's the storytelling that always sucks me in
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

Peachy Gaming wrote:Bioware seems to have a good record for making good games so far. I have been looking at this game for a while now and I have been trying to decide which system to get it for.. Does anyone know or think the pc version is better than the ps3 one?

If you have a capable rig the PC version is definetly better, at least graphically - firstly the PC version handles more enemies on screen at once, although while there are fewer enemies in the console version individual enemies are more difficult. Also, the enviroment, lighting and other effects are noticeably better in the PC version - however, the PS3 version is said to have better textures than it's 360 counterpart, but it's framerate is a bit more unsteady too. Oh, and only the PC version has access to the classic Baldur's Gate style isometric view.

Can't wait to get my hands on this when it's released on Friday (damn Europe), got it preloaded on Steam now i'm just waiting for them to let me play :(

Gamerforlife wrote:I really want to play this, but from everything I've read this seems geared more towards the PC crowd and every Bioware game I've enjoyed has been on console. Little dissapointed, my PC is not all that great. I'm sure this is an awesome game though. Bioware usually delivers on quality. It's the storytelling that always sucks me in

It's definetly designed to appeal to Bioware's PC fanbase, although that was always to be expected when they started touting it as the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. But by all accounts the console version does an admirable job of replicating the PC version, if your PC isn't up to the task it'd still definetly be worth checking out on console.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
enderfall
128-bit

Post by enderfall »

Peachy Gaming wrote:Well does everyone play online together from the different consoles and pc? Or do they each have their own dedicated server?

There is no online play. It's a single player game through and through. I have the PS3 Collector's Edition, but yet to play it as I finished Uncharted 2 last night. From what I've read I agree with what's already been said. The consoles have a slightly different experience due to the controls. They also seem to experience occasional FPS drops during intense scenes and minor color washouts vs. PC. Overall, nothing to be too worked up about it seems. So is your preference to play games like this on the PC or on the comfort of your couch? That's pretty much what it boils down to.
NES | SNES | Genesis | PSOne | Saturn | N64 | Dreamcast | Gamecube | XBox | PS2 Phat w/HDLoader | PS3 Slim| Wii
GBA SP | PSP-1000 | WiFi-iPad 16GB(Is this a game system?) | Modded PS1 | PS Vita 3G

Goozex referral: http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=6186585560772

http://backloggery.com/enderfall/sig.gif
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Well,it seems the console versions might still be worth checking out. That's cool. The only games I've really been able to enjoy on my PC are old ones(along with some awesome SCUMM games I finally got around to playing recently)
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The music is pretty good too. They take a lot of cues from Lord of the Rings and it makes the large battle sequence of the prologue pretty awesome. They also do all the cinematics through the game engine. I'm not sure if they're real time cinematics or prerendered but they do look seamless compared with the rest of the in-game shots.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

Post by Snickerd00dle »

I am really looking forward to playing this game, I don't keep up with new release stuff too often, but when I saw that it was a Bioware game, I freaked out. Those of you who have played it, keep letting us know how awesome(or not) it is!!