Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
nickfil
Next-Gen

HORI Twin stick for xbox 360

by nickfil Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:38 pm

So hori maned up and put out a $300 dollar twin stick for a $15 dollar game. Which, is pretty cool and i'm kinda into it.... but apparently they fucked up the inputs for the sticks i guess?

for 300 you would assume they would really get it right.

"Upon closer inspection, I notice something I hope that I am interpreting wrong. If you zoom in on this image and look at the bottom of the L stick, you see the word, “D-Pad”. Do the same for the R stick, you see the word, “RS”. RS? As in, right stick? As in…right ANALOG stick? Oh noes! Am I to believe that a controller being made for a port of an arcade game, whose controller was 100% digital, has somehow been incorrectly configured and is hardwired with half-digital/half-analog controls?!?

How did Hori fuck this up? Even I, your most basic of modders, understood that the L stick would be wired to the DPad, and the R stick would be wired to ABXY."

here is a link to the hori product page.
http://www.hori.jp/products/xbox360/con ... _stick_ex/
MrPopo

Re: HORI Twin stick for xbox 360

by MrPopo Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:45 pm

I think it also depends on what the XBLA takes as input. When I tried it out I used the two sticks on the pad, but I can't remember if it would let you do d-pad and ABXY. I assume at least it lets you do D-pad.

And just because the right stick is the RS input to the 360 doesn't mean it's analog. It might be configured to be four microswitches that then send a hard offset of 100 or something so it acts digital even though the 360 is getting its "analog" signal. Another issue I'd see with setting the right stick as ABXY is that it would act as those buttons in the menu, which is less than desireable.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:08 pm

MrPopo wrote:I think it also depends on what the XBLA takes as input. When I tried it out I used the two sticks on the pad, but I can't remember if it would let you do d-pad and ABXY. I assume at least it lets you do D-pad.

And just because the right stick is the RS input to the 360 doesn't mean it's analog. It might be configured to be four microswitches that then send a hard offset of 100 or something so it acts digital even though the 360 is getting its "analog" signal. Another issue I'd see with setting the right stick as ABXY is that it would act as those buttons in the menu, which is less than desireable.

yeah- the internet gets all its collective panties in a twist if controllers hori makes aren't absolutely perfect. Controller inputs aside, if it is playable I'd be down if it drops a little in price. I'm not playing VR competitions, so i just want it to be fun.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:08 pm

I'd consider snagging one of those Horis, except I already have OT on my Dreamcast with a pair of twinsticks, and I am morally opposed to buying a Gold membership so I don't even get the online play.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:14 pm

MrPopo wrote:I'd consider snagging one of those Horis, except I already have OT on my Dreamcast with a pair of twinsticks, and I am morally opposed to buying a Gold membership so I don't even get the online play.

yeah- i don't have any twin sticks, but i loved playing this game with sticks in the arcade. I wish there was a more affordable solution out there for the xbla one. It looks fantastic in HD but just doesn't quite play like i want it to without the sticks.
fast
Next-Gen

by fast Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 am

The sad thing is that for the price of two of these sticks you can usually buy the actual arcade game. Case in point:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Virtual-On-Cyb ... .m20.l1116
Granted shipping would be alot but you get my point.

Any idea on wired or wireless?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

I would suspect wired, as every other 360 joystick I've seen has been wired.
fast
Next-Gen

by fast Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

I am hoping as much.
Return to Sony and Microsoft