Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Deus Ex- does it stand the test of time?

by Hobie-wan Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:58 am

GSZX1337 wrote:I've heard a few people say they don't like Xen, but I don't understand what it is they dislike about it.

The problem is that it suddenly goes from FPS to first person platformer. When you can't see your feet that's a problem. Mirror's Edge is the only game that's really done first person platforming decently, and you can see your limbs there.

I like HL1, but the Xen jumping stuff is the least enjoyable part of the game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:I've heard a few people say they don't like Xen, but I don't understand what it is they dislike about it.

The problem is that it suddenly goes from FPS to first person platformer. When you can't see your feet that's a problem. Mirror's Edge is the only game that's really done first person platforming decently, and you can see your limbs there.

Plus a ton of enemies and a dearth of health/ammo.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:17 am

Hobie-wan wrote:The problem is that it suddenly goes from FPS to first person platformer. When you can't see your feet that's a problem. Mirror's Edge is the only game that's really done first person platforming decently, and you can see your limbs there.

There's that, and I think there's also a shift backwards in terms of game design. Part of what Half-Life did at the time was present things more logically. You weren't going to find a gun on a pedestal that rose up out of a giant pool of acid, or run over health vials sitting in the middle of the hall. If more soldiers appear, they're getting choppered in or something. Then they were fighting tactically, with AI that stood out.

Xen, or the alien stuff in general as you were getting there, had more of the older-style enemies spawning in behind you, mobs of enemies rushing you, that kind of thing.

Plenty of games seem to do that anyway, trying to throw off the player by shifting combat style, but it nearly always sucks. Mutants in Far Cry or aliens in Crysis, later-game enemy types in all the Uncharted games so far (less so in 2 and 3), etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46 am

Ditto. HL1 for the most part felt fairly grounded in reality, but then... suddenly floating platforms and a giant baby of death.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:03 pm

The original Half-Life still has the best combat AI I've ever seen in a video game. Not just the marines, those black ops ninjas were insane.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 pm

That is definitely one thing I can give it over these other games of that time. The Marines were definitely a turning point and every encounter was insane, I still think they were way more intense and scary than the Combine ever were in HL2, that said I still think HL2 and FEAR are at the top of the list when it comes to amazing enemy AI.

That is one thing I'm waiting for the industry to revolutionize again. It's been a decade now and we haven't seen anything really surpass HL2, Halo, FEAR, etc.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:36 pm

I've read that the reason the Combine don't feel as nasty as the marines did is that the level design usually doesn't let them do the interesting stuff like flanking you.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Right? But no one seems to care about AI anymore, at least in shooters. I don't get the impression that today's gamer would be impressed by the enemy using stealth tactics, flanking, or using grenades in combination with a rush in the latest COD.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:15 pm

I don't know if CoD still does this, but I absolutely hated how MW and MW2's campaigns were designed with numerous points throughout levels that had infinite spawning enemies until you pushed forward. Made it feel really artificial to me.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Xeogred wrote:I don't know if CoD still does this, but I absolutely hated how MW and MW2's campaigns were designed with numerous points throughout levels that had infinite spawning enemies until you pushed forward. Made it feel really artificial to me.

I've gotten to the point where I avoid turrets in modern FPS games because as soon as you start using one magical pointless waves of soldier fodder appear.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Sony and Microsoft