Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Deus Ex- does it stand the test of time?

by ZeroAX Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 am

I played the game for the first time in my life last year and LOVED it. I don't understand why people are comparing it to Fallout 3 or Bioshock. Those games play more like an fps. Deus Ex Actually plays like an rpg beyond the stats screen. You couldn't shoot a single thing if you hadn't leveled up your shooting skill.

The dialogue and the story where some of the best piece of writing gaming has ever seen imo.

and I liked the fact that you could change the side story a bit depending on your actions (like if your brother lives or dies)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Briomoto
8-bit

by Briomoto Sun May 31, 2009 8:03 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I played the game for the first time in my life last year and LOVED it. I don't understand why people are comparing it to Fallout 3 or Bioshock. Those games play more like an fps. Deus Ex Actually plays like an rpg beyond the stats screen. You couldn't shoot a single thing if you hadn't leveled up your shooting skill.

The dialogue and the story where some of the best piece of writing gaming has ever seen imo.

and I liked the fact that you could change the side story a bit depending on your actions (like if your brother lives or dies)

And for those reasons, Deus Ex stands the test of time.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:27 am

So has anyone given The Nameless Mod a try yet? It's incredibly well done. I'm not too far in, though, since I'm still waiting for full Shifter compatibility. But they fully voiced the game, large areas, lots of ducts and secrets to find. This really is a mod by fans for fans. Hell, there's even a couple of NPCs who break down information from DX for you.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't think the first game starts slow at all. It throws you right into the action, choosing your method of entry into the statue of liberty. And it just gets better from there, throwing choices at you - giving you tons of avenues for exploration.

I've finished it twice... And I really couldn't recommend a game higher.

The sequel on the other hand is quite basic. I got partway through and lost interest - it just didn't live up to my expectations from the first game. One huge difference too is the lack of good music in DX IW. The original has one of the best soundtracks ever, and the sequel is mostly just atmospheric noises.

Anyway J T, hope you enjoy it!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 am

So I just started trying out Deus Ex Revision. It's a series of maps that enhance all the original locales to increase the challenge, give us something new to do, and bring back that feeling of discovery that we've lost after our fifth playthrough.

http://www.dx-revision.com/

They're still not finished, but they're pretty on track, and the latest releases has everything up to the supertanker.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Koopin_Krackerz
24-bit

by Koopin_Krackerz Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:23 pm

I would highly recommend playing the sequel Indivisible War as well. I played it on Xbox and it sucked many hours from my life. Great story that begs you to finish the game and at the time I have never played a game like it. I rented the game so many times I really should've just went ahead and bought it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Consoles:
NES,Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii,
Gameboy Color, NeoGeo Pocket Color, Nintendo DS
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Koopin_Krackerz wrote:I would highly recommend playing the sequel Indivisible War as well. I played it on Xbox and it sucked many hours from my life. Great story that begs you to finish the game and at the time I have never played a game like it. I rented the game so many times I really should've just went ahead and bought it.

have you played the first game and you still say that?

if not do buy the first one from steam. It's really really 100 times better than the sequel
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 pm

How's the Deus Ex endeavor goin?

I will also vouch for the coolness of Invisible War. It's light on RPG when compared to it's predecessor but not so light when compared to the ton of generic FPS's out there. I've beaten it over 6 times, I think, somewhere around there. It's full of choice-based gaming; there's lots of fun to have. It's one of the few games from oXBox days that I revisit once a year or so. That and Thief Deadly Shadows.. new Thief soon! Anyhow...

This guy makes a good point in defense of IW and it's an entertaining watch...

Deus Ex Series Retrospective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nqdKiLnTU

I'm currently in the middle of my first New Game+ for Human Revolution.. Think I'll be trying the original again afterwards.

Edit: forgot to mention, I played the PS2 version quite extensively..didn't beat it, but had fun and wished I finished it. The aiming system didn't translate to joystick too well though.

I just started learning about all the mod's for it.. and literally just read this thread for the first time.

I have a question: is there any difference between Deus Ex HDTP and New Vision?

I'm hoping to play it as decked out as possible and my research is just beginning..
Last edited by optmusprimenumber on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:26 am

Haha, a thread from before I joined. Short answer, no. Long answer, it didn't stand up when it was new. :P
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 am

I tried playing it a year or so ago, and while I really want to like the game, it has not aged well at all. I love Human Revolution to death and think that if somebody wants the core Deus Ex experience that's what they should just start out on. I think I made it about 2 or 3 hours into the original.

It's just so incredibly clunky to play now. All the ideas I love in Human Revolution are there and all the mechanics are there. They just aren't realized in a way that I find enjoyable these days. It feels like it was simply too ambitious for its time.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to Sony and Microsoft