Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: Deus Ex- does it stand the test of time?

by Mozgus Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 am

Hatta wrote:30 minutes is a bit soon to be declaring a game overrated. If it helps, think of it as an action RPG like Zelda or Morrowind with guns. Typical FPS action is not the point.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said I tried it a dozen times. It's not my fault if a game starts off poorly. If that's the case, then it's not a good game. It's up to the developer to put out a good product, start to finish.
Briomoto
8-bit

by Briomoto Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

I thought the opening Liberty Island level was just fine. The big difference is that story and branching plot points (which make the game what it is) hadn't unraveled yet. But still, if I gave up on games because I wasn't thrilled with them after the first hour or so, I would've missed out on some of my all time favorite games.

And before I'd forget, I know many Deus Ex fans would consider it treasonous, but I'd recommend getting the sequel, Invisible War, also. Although the gameplay wasn't quite on par with the original and was technically flawed (the framerate is awful), I loved the 'haves vs. have-nots' cyberpunk story themes and the overall atmosphere of the cities in the game. It wasn't perfect but it was still an incredible game in my book.
Doctor4000

by Doctor4000 Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Deus Ex is amazing. I consider it to be up there with System Shock 2 and Ultima Underworld.

Mozgus, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however shoggotian they may be. Your Steam games list tells me you seem to like your shooters to be a little more straightforward, I can respect that.

But, for anyone reading who has yet to play Deus Ex, don't listen to that guy, he's eating wall candy. Get the demo (<--- link)and try the game out for yourself. But do yourself a favor if you decide to buy it and get it on Steam, as opposed to Direct2Drive or from Eidos. Every place that has it (except for Steam and I think Gamersgate) use Digital River as their distribution method, and they are the worst company in the business.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Briomoto wrote:I thought the opening Liberty Island level was just fine. The big difference is that story and branching plot points (which make the game what it is) hadn't unraveled yet. But still, if I gave up on games because I wasn't thrilled with them after the first hour or so, I would've missed out on some of my all time favorite games.

And before I'd forget, I know many Deus Ex fans would consider it treasonous, but I'd recommend getting the sequel, Invisible War, also. Although the gameplay wasn't quite on par with the original and was technically flawed (the framerate is awful), I loved the 'haves vs. have-nots' cyberpunk story themes and the overall atmosphere of the cities in the game. It wasn't perfect but it was still an incredible game in my book.

I really loved the setting and story of DX:IW, but the gameplay was so watered down due to the development on the Xbox that I haven't been able to do a second playthrough. I'll get a little bit in and just lose interest. I do think, though, that if you're a fan of the original you should at least try to do a single playthrough of IW.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 pm

J T wrote:Many PC lovers claim Deus Ex is one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Me being one of them.

I'm thinking I will buy it off of Steam since it's only 10 clams, but I have also spent a lot of money on gaming lately and I'm wondering if you all think it has stood the test of time?

It really has stood the test of time. The blending of RPG and FPS practically renders the game invulnerable to age. Technological advances such as ragdoll physics and HDR would only improve the game aesthetically, adding nothing to the gameplay.

Is this game still great, or have other more recent games like Bioshock done what Deus Ex did, only better?

The game is still great, and more recent games like BioShock have done what Deus Ex did, only worse.

Obviously the graphics have aged, but I can probably look past that.

You can download this to take care of that problem.

I believe that Deus Ex has risen my standards of what a good game is. The graphics (well, at the time) kick ass. I loved the music in the game (especially the UNATCO BGM), I even got the OST. I loved the story and atmosphere of the game. I was actually interested in interacting with the characters, learned their names, (that's a biggy for me, I usually don't bother learning any minor character names) I even wondered what the characters were like before the events of the game if their story wasn't told. When Paul's hotel was being attacked, I wanted to save him, not for getting the good ending or for hoping to get some kick ass items; but I wanted to save him because I cared about the character. Well, that was until I saw all those enemies, sorry Paul. :P

Of course, the gameplay is what stands out the most. There's never only one way to do anything. If you look hard enough, there's a better way to get around. This of course means there's enormous replay value. In order to allow this, the game has nonlinear gameplay. The non-linearity encourages you to explore, looking for secrets, missions, and maybe a better path to where you need to go. Normally, I don't go exploring game areas just because I want to get straight to the ass kicking, but in Deus Ex, I wanted to search every nook and cranny. The game rewards you for that, not with just an occasional ammo pack here, and a health kit there, you get things that will actually help out whether it be some explosive crates, an augmentation upgrade, or information. I could go on forever about this alone, but in short, You can go through the game however you want: You want to shoot the living shit out of everyone? Go ahead. Want to sneak around using violence only when absolutely necessary? Go on. You want to pick the lock on the door? Pick away. Just don't give a shit who notices you and want to blow the door down? Fire away.

I usually stray from games that have some kind of RPG element most of them involve a slow moving level grinding scheme(Ratchet and Clank being an example). Deus Ex has a level system, but gets rid of the grind. The augmentations are acquired and upgraded through items you pick up, no grinding whatsoever. The skills/abilities require experience, but it's not required. Unlike other RPG-hybrids, having high levels isn't required, just convenient. Your character isn't a total pussy when you start the game. He's a perfectly functional agent, the higher levels just make things easier. You can't just lean back on your high levels, you have to have skills to do well in the game. So, the grind is there, but you don't you have to go through it.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Tue May 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Well, if you dislike Deus Ex because you don't like RPGs in your FPSs, then get Deus Ex 2. It pretty much got rid of all the RPG elements, all the complexity, and - most importantly - all the fun, to make a completely generic product devoid of any intrinsic value that no one could enjoy.

MrPopo wrote:I really loved the setting and story of DX:IW, but the gameplay was so watered down due to the development on the Xbox that I haven't been able to do a second playthrough. I'll get a little bit in and just lose interest. I do think, though, that if you're a fan of the original you should at least try to do a single playthrough of IW.

Hell, better than me - I couldn't even make it through a single playthrough. After playing just a little bit of it, the lack of a good inventory system, lack of independent damage for body parts, lack of experience system and 'universal ammo' just flat out disgusted me. It was like the devs were saying "You are too stupid to understand the original game, so we dumbed it down for you as much as we possibly could."
otaku
128-bit

by otaku Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 pm

I liked it sure its a bit dated now technically but its still a great game and at ten bucks not a bad buy at all.
bobbynewmarkiii
128-bit

by bobbynewmarkiii Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Mozgus wrote:I guess you didn't read the part where I said I tried it a dozen times. It's not my fault if a game starts off poorly.

It doesn't start off poorly. You're just a retard.
Ack

by Ack Tue May 19, 2009 6:36 pm

bobbynewmarkiii wrote:
Mozgus wrote:I guess you didn't read the part where I said I tried it a dozen times. It's not my fault if a game starts off poorly.

Regardless of Mozgus' opinion on the game and whether you agree with it, please don't resort to childish namecalling.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
bobbynewmarkiii
128-bit

by bobbynewmarkiii Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Ack wrote:
bobbynewmarkiii wrote:

Regardless of Mozgus' opinion on the game and whether you agree with it, please don't resort to childish namecalling.

Knob-jockey.
Return to Sony and Microsoft