Anyone playing the Evolve Alpha?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
avrame
128-bit

Anyone playing the Evolve Alpha?

Post by avrame »

Hey all,

Started playing last night on XB1, it's fun, but not $60 fun. I would compare it to paying for Left 4 Dead, only being able to fight against a Tank, not having any campaign to speak of, and being absolutely dependent on finding a full lobby unless you want to play with near useless bots.

I have a spare XB1 key if anyone wants in for this weekend.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: Anyone playing the Evolve Alpha?

Post by Ghudda »

Got a PS4 key last night and intend on installing/playing it tonight. Looking forward to trying it out/discussing it.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

It looks like if you own XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Steam, you're automatically in the public beta. Go check your games list.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Agh, PS4 alpha got postponed so they're giving anyone who got the PS4 alpha the opportunity to switch to the XB1 or PC. So... looks like I'll be playing this on the PC, which I was kind of hoping for.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

played a bit finally - not impressed :(
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I was able to play it for about ten minutes ... I like what I played, but I'm not happy with how it performed. Graphically it's nice, but needs to be turned down for my hardware, that's fine. What isn't fine is that 8GB of system RAM was, apparently, not enough. Windows killed the process for jacking too much.

It took entirely too long to connect to matches and put me in then disconnected me 5 times prior to allowing a match to load.

The game looks fun, and I like the mobility of the monsters, but I'm gonna wait on this one. I'll probably buy it much later at a much lower price.

I think if you had a 5 man group of people who play things with, this would be a no brainer.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Yeah overall I wasn't to impressed either played through a few matches and didn't see any challenge at all for the monster. Really the only way I could see the hunters beating him is with either perfect team work or by capturing him in the dome at level 1.

My Post from the dead signup thread :P.

If you own Xcom you get a free invite to the pc version through steam just have to download and play. Alpha ends tomorrow though.

Played through a few games and was overall underwhelmed by the game. It just isn't that interesting. The AI is horrible, the map they opened up is small and isn't that interesting, and the goal is just way to basic. Plus by the time you get to the 3rd stage of evolution you are basically unstoppable which wouldn't be to bad if it took effort to get there. However since you can easily out run the hunters there is no need for stealth you can just leap and charge your self to the other side of the map and buy about a minute of time before they catch up to you pretty much making the game a cinch.

Overall the only way for the monster to lose right now is if the monster is a complete idiot and picks a fight at the early stages of evolution, or if the hunters get the teamwork down perfectly :P.

Things that need changed: First they really need to split the destructible objective in two so there is time for the hunters to come back if they get their ass handed to them. Second they either need to gimp the monsters health or speed, and/or give the the hunters some sort of enhancements as the match progresses(the buff monsters don't work well). I also really think they need to limit the smell ability(x-ray vision / environmental highlight system) I find myself just constantly spamming it since their is no charge or delay involved with using it and it really sucks a ton of difficulty out of the game for the monster. Would also be nice if I felt like my monster actually had some weight :lol: right now I feel like a balloon man fighting little balloon men the physics just don't look/feel right(lot of gliding/sliding going on in the animations) :P.

Anyways it's just a alpha there is plenty of room for improvement.