How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Post by Reprise »

alienjesus wrote:Buy it now prices on some consoles went a bit nuts lately, but you can still get decent prices with some persistence.

It's weird which consoles have increased too. The super common PS1 is on it's way up, as is the previously dirt cheap SMS.

But NES games, a console which has always been a bit pricy here, haven't really changed price much in the last 5 years. I got a bunch of NES stuff recently for prices that were relatively reasonable.

No idea whats driving the odd PS1 and SMS booms. Especially PS1, those things sold so many units It's amazing the games are all a quid.

Yeah, BIN prices are often inflated or overpriced, depending on the game and console etc., but it just seems ridiculous to me. I swear it was only a year or so ago that I remember browsing my local Cash Converter or whatever it was' PS1 games and they were all 50p or £1. Not all crap or worthless games either, but stuff like Spyro and Crash etc. Same with my local GameStation a few years back before they all became GAME after their financial difficulties.

I usually stalk auctions for pricier games and bide my time to get really good deals, but sometimes with cheaper games, I'll just go Buy it Now on Ebay as it's quicker and easier and usually you don't lose out much if any money, due to how cheap the games are. I figured it would be the same with PS1 games, as they've always been so cheap, but got a shock...

Prices are continuously going up at the moment and it is getting ridiculous. Do you know CEX sell retro games now? If you want a laugh, take a look at their website and have a look at how much they sell some games for. Hell, some of my games I would actually make a profit on selling to them for cash, let alone credit voucher...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Golden Week sale on PSN - another chance to grab some PSOne Classics like your Mega Man Legends/Tron Bonne and MM8.

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness also on sale Haven't seen that one reduced before.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

So, following my previous discussion, I decided to bite the bullet on a few games that I'd been wanting for a while.

I picked up:

Silent Hill
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Final Fantasy VIII

Silent Hill is a game I remember playing at friends houses as a kid. I always remember thinking it was really dark, eerie and more mature take on the horror genre at the time. I've had the second game for ages on the PS2 and loved the remake/reimagining on the Wii (from what I gather I am in the minority there, but oh well), so figured I'd pick this gem up. It looks really dated, but I just love that foggy, dark art style.

Crash Bandicoot 3 always looked like the best of the original trilogy to me. I really had the urge to play some Crash Bandicoot, so I went with this one. I played the first game to death back in the day and my wife owns Crash 2, so I picked this one up.

Final Fantasy VIII always looked amazing to me. I loved the sound of the story and the more 'mature' look to it back in the day. VII was one of my favourite games of all time when it was released and I was so hyped for VIII before it came out, but I never actually got 'round to ever buying it or even playing it. Since its release, despite the critical acclaim, a lot of fans seem to dislike this one. It seems like a really divisive Final Fantasy game, which for some strange reason just makes it even more interesting to me. So I wanted to try it out for myself.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Reprise wrote:So, following my previous discussion, I decided to bite the bullet on a few games that I'd been wanting for a while.

I picked up:

Silent Hill
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Final Fantasy VIII

Nice pickups Reprise.

Let me tell you man, I played Silent Hill 1 for the very first time in 2013. Prior to that I don't know if I ever saw any footage or anything of it ever, somehow. Once you give it a good hour or so, it suddenly felt perfect to me. There was nothing I would have changed about it, granted the dog/flying bat enemies and whatnot are a nuisance, you can usually run away from them. This was also the start of my binge into the entire series since it was a big one I somehow sidestepped despite loving RE for ages.

I have to say I still find Silent Hill 1 to quite possibly be the most evil and darkest one of them all. 2 is utterly depressing and draining, 3 is the most gothic and looks fantastic with amazing graphics, and 4 is just outright amazingly weird... but 1, wow. If that otherworld isn't hell I don't know what is. I think it had the most daunting depiction of the exterior town area by far. The music was constantly out to grind you up into pieces. The weird sirens... everything about this game is the epitome of dark evilness in such a cool way. The atmosphere is insane. I bet you'll love it if you can adjust to the controls after a bit.

I love FF8 but I have a hard time replaying it due to some mechanics. But yeah, it's a very different game story/character wise and has tons of cool ideas. A different approach from Uematsu, gorgeous looking game, etc. I still look back on it fondly from my first time through and doing 100%.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, Silent Hill 1 seems like a pretty messed up game. I've never played it through fully, so I'm looking forward to playing through it. I read some interesting stories on the censorship in this game in the different regions. I haven't completed 2 yet either. I started a new game the other week, but I think I'll try and play them in order now (I need to pick up 3 and 4 sometime).

FFVIII really intrigues me like I said. It's a shame the PAL version doesn't work on the PS3 (no idea if it's the same for the other regions), as I tend to do my PS1 gaming on my PS3. Oh well, I'll be playing it on my PS2 instead.

Ack

Post by Ack »

Xeogred wrote:The music was constantly out to grind you up into pieces. The weird sirens... everything about this game is the epitome of dark evilness in such a cool way. The atmosphere is insane. I bet you'll love it if you can adjust to the controls after a bit.

For an example, this is one track from Silent Hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OkmMqkeJ6U
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I wouldn't give such a high praise for Silent Hill 1 as Xeogred did but it's still a good game (i played it like 4-5 years ago so it still holds up) The puzzles are great and there's that one moment in the game that is genuinely unsettling.
Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

Post by Speedy-Mcspeedz »

Kuruwin wrote:I wouldn't give such a high praise for Silent Hill 1 as Xeogred did but it's still a good game (i played it like 4-5 years ago so it still holds up) The puzzles are great and there's that one moment in the game that is genuinely unsettling.

Since i played silent hill as a kid, id have to say almost everything was unsettling about it. I atleast tried at resident evil and eventually beat it when i was that young. Id love to see silent hill on together retro someday.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

PSN Capcom sale this week and low and behold a very rare sale on Resident Evil: Director's Cut. I have never seen that included in previous Capcom sale until now.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I've been on a Spyro kick lately. I grabbed 1 and 2 over the last few months (I gave my PS1 and games to a cousin long ago), and got 100% on both. Year of the Dragon seemed to be more pricey for a long time but I got a fair price online last week and I'm working my way through again.

As a kid, I never liked this one as much as Ripto's Rage, probably because of all the extra characters who weren't dragons, and how you can't complete some levels the first time through. Now though it's really becoming my favorite, and it looks fantastic.

I also picked up Blazing Dragon's a little while back, and it looks really unique. Adventure games on console aren't common, but this one seems pretty good.

I'l probably be getting Crash 3 soon to round out the other big platformer trilogy on the system.