Gamecube Pirating: Can it be done?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Mr. Scarecrow
8-bit

Gamecube Pirating: Can it be done?

Post by Mr. Scarecrow »

I've always wondered that. I remember one day walking into a Gamestop and seeing miniDVD-R's being sold and it being obvious what they were for. So, is it possible? Does anyone have any links to guides showing how? I know it's highly unpractical, but I've always viewed the Gamecube as a modders challenge, I just want to conquer it.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: Gamecube Pirating: Can it be done?

Post by Mozgus »

Mr. Scarecrow wrote:I've always wondered that. I remember one day walking into a Gamestop and seeing miniDVD-R's being sold and it being obvious what they were for. So, is it possible? Does anyone have any links to guides showing how? I know it's highly unpractical, but I've always viewed the Gamecube as a modders challenge, I just want to conquer it.

It was impossible, except for a PSO exploit, until about 3 years after the console launched. Then they cracked it. It's super easy now. Just get a mod chip, and the mini DVDs. Or you can get full sized dvds for better compatibility, and play without the top of the shell on, or buy a custom GC shell which has a super wide disc space which fit the full sized discs. Many places sell them. Pics here:

http://www.xavbox.com/blog/index.php/20 ... -dvd-12-cm

The mod chips are much cheaper then most PS2 or XBox chips, and much easier to install. No 23 wire bullcrap.
Mr. Scarecrow
8-bit

Post by Mr. Scarecrow »

Mozgus wrote:
Mr. Scarecrow wrote:I've always wondered that. I remember one day walking into a Gamestop and seeing miniDVD-R's being sold and it being obvious what they were for. So, is it possible? Does anyone have any links to guides showing how? I know it's highly unpractical, but I've always viewed the Gamecube as a modders challenge, I just want to conquer it.

It was impossible, except for a PSO exploit, until about 3 years after the console launched. Then they cracked it. It's super easy now. Just get a mod chip, and the mini DVDs. Or you can get full sized dvds for better compatibility, and play without the top of the shell on, or buy a custom GC shell which has a super wide disc space which fit the full sized discs. Many places sell them. Pics here:

The mod chips are much cheaper then most PS2 or XBox chips, and much easier to install. No 23 wire bullcrap.

Wow, easier then I thought.
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

Mozgus wrote:

Your actually better off with the Mini DVD's. The gamecube was not meant to read anything bigger than that really.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

CurulleanCat wrote:Your actually better off with the Mini DVD's. The gamecube was not meant to read anything bigger than that really.
A lot of people say otherwise. For some reason or another, the majority of Mini DVD-R's seem to have compatibility issues with the GC. But the regular sized discs were about 95% compatible. This was taken from a poll a piracy site had taken about 2 years ago though, so results may be different today. I'd suppose that if you did find a brand that works perfectly, you should stick with it. But the Mini DVD-Rs had so many issues that it MOTIVATED people to create the new casing for the system, just so they can use the regular sized discs. Remember that.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'll let it slide a bit, but please read the rules:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2

"2. All Xbox, PS1/PS2, Gamecube and PC piracy posts will be followed by a ban!
We do not support piracy for these systems at this site. All questions relating to downloading and copying games and applications for these systems will result in a ban. Go elsewhere for this stuff. Homebrew development discussions on these systems will be allowed, but do not turn discussions into piracy threads. "

I like to promote buying of current gen games.
Once the GC goes off the market, have fun, but for now, keep this under wraps unless you're talking about homebrew, emulation stuff.

I'll keep the thread open if you keep away from talking about GC backups, ISOs, etc.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:I'll let it slide a bit, but please read the rules:

We do not support piracy for these systems at this site. All questions relating to downloading and copying games and applications for these systems will result in a ban. Go elsewhere for this stuff. Homebrew development discussions on these systems will be allowed, but do not turn discussions into piracy threads. "

Once the GC goes off the market, have fun, but for now, keep this under wraps unless you're talking about homebrew, emulation stuff.

I'll keep the thread open if you keep away from talking about GC backups, ISOs, etc.

I thought about that but it seemed safe, because he wasn't asking for any isos or apps which assist in it. He was just asking if it was possible. No reason to lie and say it's impossible or anything.
Mr. Scarecrow
8-bit

Post by Mr. Scarecrow »

racketboy wrote:I'll let it slide a bit, but please read the rules:

I apologize maybe I should have worded it differently, my intent was simply wanting to know if one could mod a Gamecube to play anything other then a commerical GCN disc. Honestly, I'm such an unabashed Nintendo fanboy that they're are the one company I refuse to pirate from (especially a console that's still on the market), I just like a challenge and I've always viewed the Gamecube as a system to get running homebrew or whatnot on substainly harder then doing so on the PS2 or Xbox.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

That's cool :)
I would be in heaven if I could mod my Cube to be an emulation station and media center -- then I wouldn't have to get an XBox :)
Well, I still might have to get an XBox just for Jet Set Radio Future and PD Orta :p
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Just get an xbox, and live in heaven with XBMC. Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without it now. I just might go crazy.