Jemsic's Arcade Stick 2

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

jemsic wrote:You need to know how to solder (well) and to have access to and be able to use a voltage meter.

If you plan on making a halfway decent stick, you need to have basic building skills.
I wouldn't suggest this as the first thing you ever built.

I was hoping for some links to some guides on the process. I can solder fine unless we're talking about soldering wires to millimeter thin legs of an IC chip or some crap like that. And I have a voltage meter, but know nothing about it really. I never took a class on electronics, so all I know is what I've learned on my own.

Now "building skills" is an extremely vague term. Some people build houses. Some people build lego contructions. Some people build jenga towers. Specify what you mean by that.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

I'm not gonna hold your hand here, just look what I built and decide whether you want to attempt it.
Your question was very vague, so I gave a very vague answer.

How well must you be able to solder? Well enough to solder wires to some arcade buttons and a controller board.

As for a link to some help:
http://www.darkravenwind.com/cdvision/arcade.htm
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

jemsic wrote:I'm not gonna hold your hand here, just look what I built and decide whether you want to attempt it.
Your question was very vague, so I gave a very vague answer.

I asked "Where can one learn how to do all this?". That was not vague. You now realize it, since you provided the "where". No one asked you to hold their hand. Soldering wires together, drilling holes in wood, and printing a color image, are not olympic sports. The attitude wasn't requested.
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

I bet you could build one heck of an arcade cabinet! Nice work on the stick, and the first one you made was awsome too.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

racketboy wrote:** drool **

Ok, that's going on RoomPlay tonight!

Aw, where's my article? :cry:

:)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

jemsic wrote:
racketboy wrote:** drool **

Ok, that's going on RoomPlay tonight!

Aw, where's my article? :cry:

:)

doh! How 'bout tomorrow :D
Conn
24-bit

Post by Conn »

This is totally awesome. I'd buy one for sure.. then again, I'd buy any7thing related to Power Stone..
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

Ooh, I just bought some Pink Sanwa buttons (made in Japan) from ebay. I'm going to swap them out with the buttons I currently have in there.

Although the buttons I have are good, after playing with the authentic Sanwa buttons in the arcade I just have to have them ;).

Oh and while I'm updating this thread, I might as well mention that the stick has been out of commission for some time now.
That's the last time I use some $10 Logitech pad for the PCB. The thing burnt out and doesn't recognize 2 buttons.
americankgb
16-bit

Post by americankgb »

jemsic wrote:Ooh, I just bought some Pink Sanwa buttons (made in Japan) from ebay. I'm going to swap them out with the buttons I currently have in there.

Although the buttons I have are good, after playing with the authentic Sanwa buttons in the arcade I just have to have them ;).

Oh and while I'm updating this thread, I might as well mention that the stick has been out of commission for some time now.
That's the last time I use some $10 Logitech pad for the PCB. The thing burnt out and doesn't recognize 2 buttons.

Jesmic what Joystick is in there at the moment. Sanwa, Happ, Seimitsu?

FYI... If anyone else was looking to build something in the future there's a guy over at the shoryuken.com forums named ponyboy who sells a lot of the authentic japanese arcade parts. He has really cheap prices and fast shipping. I just purchased some new stuff from him to mod one of my mame sticks.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

Aw, what's his name? I'm looking for some more parts because I'm going to build another stick soon.

I don't know what kind of joystick is in there. It's not a name brand one.