No votes
No.
13%

Total votes : 16
Saraph
64-bit

Pimp My Console.

by Saraph Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm looking for any tutorials really to add in lots of lights to both the Saturn and DC. Any other good tutorials like a region switch would be neat-o. I changed my LED on the Saturn to red, even though I want blue I wanted to just see what it would look like at the time (I didnt have blue... :cry: ). Anything I can do to spiff up both systems would be awesome!

Thankya!
arion
Next-Gen

by arion Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:25 pm

well i´ve been thinking about making my dreamcast silver gray and get a blue LED but i have no idea how to change the LED so i´d also be intrested in some tutorials about that :D
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:33 pm

It's rather easy actually, go to your local Radio Shack and pick up a soldering iron, some thin solder, wick, and your color choice of LED. Next, open up your system, go to the bottom where the LED contact points are and remove the solder with the wick, thus removing the original LED. Simply insert the blue LED and solder it into place and you're done! Remember, wick is your friend, iron touches contact before solder does, and never touch anything else on the board!
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Green LED

I've never done anything more complex then this stuff. Never seen a reason to.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:49 am

I clear cased and LED'd up my XBOX along with chipping.

I've LED'd and chipped, region switched, and rechargeable battery'd my Saturn.

That is about the extent of my modifications I've finsihed though. ( aside from chipping a couple systems and adding the new cart slot to the NES).
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Clockwork
24-bit

by Clockwork Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:06 am

i`d never change the case of a console, the only "external" things i`ve changed were the LEDs (in all consoles)

if i can get the digicam of a friend, i`ll make some tuts of changing them in different consoles, cause it isn`t always that simple just changing the LED on the boards (cause of the voltages, or the amperage (NES...argh...)).
know your roots !!!
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:31 am

With me it's mostly Chipping and A/V mods
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 am

Right now I'm wondering just how many LED's I can put in my Saturn without causing problems. Can I just run wires from the LED contacts on the board, or do I have to go through the power supply? I can definitely install everything, but other than that I don't know what else to do, what will break my system? I'm thinking 6 LED's would do, is that too much? Can I put in more?

That's just my Saturn, I'd like to put a lot of other LED's in my DC. I already have a blue/red blinking LED.
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:25 pm

I'd suggest going through the power supply. 6 LEDs shouldn't be too much.
Nos9

by Nos9 Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 am

Ive pimped up my saturn, by changing the power LED to blue, and making a circuit so my console could have two mode's one being europe, and the other mode being switchable between american or Japanese. When either PAL, JAP or USA were selected an led for that setting lights up, and a LED for when i have my console running at a higher 60Hz. Thankfully its been working well for around a year now. I used 2 220u capacitors to smooth out the voltage as i have my mod chip also run from the same circuit board.

If your going use LED's maybe stick with the 3mm ones unless your replacing the 5mm led used for the power indicator, though remember to install the LED correctly or it wont work. Something else you should know, the LED and most of the electronics if not all have been solder by a solder dipping machine, so taking off the LED will take time & care. A solder sucker comes in handy, though its not so easy with the type of solder used on the saturn boards. If your going to use alot of LED's maybe adding a capacitor or two might be a good idea, though it depends on what LED's your using, how many & where your running them from. Maybe use some resistors also, as ive found blue bright LED's can seem to bright.

Nos9
Return to Hacks and Mods