Paint my consoles?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

nateup2 wrote:Thanks for all the priceless info, everybody!

I was having a hard time finding much on the topic.

Not sure if I will be able to drop $150 on tools right now, but at some point.

Yeah, i know. Then the spray paint is a good option. Use masking materials, or it will look like a big turd with some color on it. And seal it up.

nateup2 wrote:Ok Ok, I just realized why Racket thought I may not be taking it apart. When I was speaking of debris getting on parts I just meant over time from usage - cartridge friction against the cart drive slot, opening and closing the cd rom lid, etc.

If you put a proper sealant on it this will not be an issue.
ubelaffe
64-bit

Post by ubelaffe »

That's another reason that the fusion is such a good thing on plastics. It really doesn't chip off or anything like a lot of paints.
Consoles:GB, Virtual Boy, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Sega Genesis+32x, Sega Saturn, Sega Sports Dreamcast, PS2+HDD+HD Advance, Xbox, XBOX 360
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I'd post a guide on how I painted my Saturn/SNES but i'm at work and I don't have the picks. Maybe later if i'm not too tired after work (and if I remember!) I used to have pictures of my modded consoles in my sig if you've been around here for while but it was taking up too much room in posts so I got rid of them.

I didn't need to prime my consoles. I just took my time with cans of plastikote. I applied abour 4 thin layers over the course of 2 days. The paint won't rub off no matter how hard I try. Thin layers is the best way to do it. Best advice to give you is DON'T RUSH. Leave at least an hour longer than the minimum drying time stated on the can. Leave them in a well aired/non-humid part of your house. Garages are ideal, if it's dry and not going to rain just leave them outside. Make sure you spray from about a foot away from surface. Any closer and the paint will run and you'll be forced to either wipe it off or have to sand it back down as you'll have big lines of thick paint which completely ruin the look. Masking tape is good for certain parts of the console BUT logo's are a bitch. Especially 'jeweled' ones like on the DC. I used Blu-tack to make a thin copy of the logo. It's really easy to mold it to the logo and will stop paint bleeding onto the logo.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

Nah, Im a newb around here so I missed out on viewing your work before. Hell yeah, if you get a chance post the pics... love to see em.

On the logos - I was thinking about having my graffiti artist friend write sega on there with a paint pen in a new style. Just an idea.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, this thread is huge for this project!
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I plan on re-doing the SNES logo. BTW thats what happens when you spray the paint too close. You get thick lines around where it gathers and dries. I'm planning on sanding the top part of the SNES down and getting some filler to fill in the hole, then i'm gonna stencil on a big SNES logo. Like this one.
Over the entire top part of the console. Then I'm gonna stencil over the bottom part (the bit that says Super nintendo entertainment system). Right now it's got a thin layer of silver paint that makes it sparkle, but it just doesn't match the rest of the console.

Just haven't got the time with uni work right now though. I'll probably do it again this summer though.

Here's a photoshop mockup of what i want to achieve. Might work on the design a bit though...

Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
opticledilusi0n
32-bit

Post by opticledilusi0n »

don't forget liberal clear coats !