Discuss all hardware and software modifications
molotovwars
Next-Gen

buying a PS2 modchip - which? and where?

by molotovwars Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:02 am

I was able to find someone though craigslist to install a modchip for me, so now I have to decide which chip to get and where to buy it from.

From the "research" I've done the Duo 3 Ultra looked like a good chip, and not too expensive. Anyone use one of these or have suggestions for a different chip?

And where should I order it from? I was going to order from foundmy.com but someone on the boards provided a link to a website feedback page that showed many people had problems ordering from them. Where should I order it from?

Thanks!
IMJ
24-bit

by IMJ Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm

I was big into PSx Modding, but I haven't heard much about PS2 modding at all. I wonder how different the boards are? I've modded many a PSOne in my day, but I've never even cracked the shell of a PS2.
diehllane
32-bit

by diehllane Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:28 pm

All the mod chips tell you which versions they work for. Most sites selling chips will have the tutorial on how to tell your PS2 version.

I know someone here said Foundmy wasn't a good site but I didn't have an issue when I used them. That was quite a while ago, however.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ModchipCentral

According to that, modchipcentral.com is a good place to buy. They have the Duo 3 for $17.95
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Anyone ever used http://www.mod-chip.bz/ ? I dont see any reviews on them. I just risked $4 to buy two PS2 Slim laser fix chips. The gamecube mod chip was kinda tempting.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

by molotovwars Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:00 pm

I was actually just about to buy from www.mod-chip.biz, but I checked this thread and saw Mod Chip Central, so I think I'll place my order there. I can also purchase the M3 DS Real Rumble + GBA Combo there, so thats good news, $2 more expensive than another place I saw, but I'd hope to make that up in shipping. Once the item arrives, I will post and let you know how the service was. *fingers crossed* Thanks.
Return to Hacks and Mods