Discuss all hardware and software modifications
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:36 pm

skate323k137 wrote:those joysticks are sweet, but you'll never fit one in a fighting stick SS. replacing the micros will make it work just fine (and yes, those are the right ones)
Hmm, ok. i dont really want to dremel.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Re: Hori Fighting Stick SS button/joystick mod tutorial

by skate323k137 Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:16 am

a couple updates to this pretty old thread

I replaced the HRAP2 buttons with new Sanwa buttons. They actually snap in firmly unlike the HRAP2 buttons, and are noticeably more sensitive. Also I found the small balltop to be interchangeable with a Sanwa balltop from a JLF series. This makes the stick much more comfortable.

Also, newer cherry microswitches have to be filed/sanded just a little bit to fit into the joystick. it is obvious what you have to do. However they do make the joystick feel pretty loose. The Omron switches that come in sanwa joysticks have a little more resistance, if anyone can find a good place to get them without solder legs or an actuator piece (which i guess could be removed), post up.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm

So, I crammed a Sanwa JLF in this sucker. It took a shitload of dremmel work, and the joystick shaft is taller than normal because the joystick case is so shallow. It's still a world of difference over the stock joystick.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
ektouge88

by ektouge88 Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm

You got any pics of how you put the sanwa inside of there. I wanna do this to my fighting stick ss
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 pm

several to keep in mind- since the case is so shallow, you have to mount the stick flush inside the case, which makes for a slightly taller joystick than usual. this doesn't bother me. you can counteract it a little by using the smaller balltop that came with the joystick.

also for some dumb reason they didn't use a common ground wire for the joystick like they did the buttons, so you'll see in the pictures, every alternating wire from the joystick harness is connected to the GND of the sanwa. You have to remove all plastic where the joystick is going to be mounted, so get or borrow a good dremmel, rotozip, or other rotary tool with a grinder bit if you don't have all week. Also, slowly enlarge the hole where the joystick shaft comes through, until the ring around the stick shaft fits inside snugly. It doesn't have to be perfect, the dust cover for the joystick will cover it. you also have to remove the mounting plate that comes on the stick, just 4 screws. then you have two choices- two outer wing screws like i used, or four corner screws that will require (easy) removal of the restrictor plate to access. soldering isn't required to replace the joystick but is recommended when replacing the buttons unless you're really good with crimpers and quick disconnects. I used a standard sanwa JLF.

The finished product.

everything

color coding the joystick

joystick harness at the pcb, notice the ground situation i mentioned.

good luck, please come back and let me know how it works out for you.
ektouge88

by ektouge88 Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:42 am

Ohhh cool thanks!! I'ma start on my hori ss this week.
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Sat May 02, 2009 8:40 am

i have this same stick, any way you can think of to connect this to usb? i am also willing to sacrifice a saturn controller extension.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 pm

off the top of my head, there's not an easy way out unless there exists a decent saturn to USB adaptor... pretty sure there isn't one.

I believe your only other options, since luckily this is a "common ground" situation, would be to either sacrifice the saturn plug altogether (blasphemy) to wire in a USB pad, or wire in a duplicate set of wires to a USB controller w/common ground (personally, I'd wire in PS dualshock or something and adapt that to USB, the more systems your stick works with the better). you would need diodes on everything but the ground wires (all the original connections you made to the buttons and joystick, so the two PCB's don't interfere.) It would be a mess, so If you care what it looks like inside the case, forget it. If you've got the balls, go for it. You'd have two wires running to each positive terminal, each with their own diode. To make sure you're going to put the diodes in the right way, before adding any 2nd connections, wire in on one of your buttons. if it still works, that's the way they go. if not, flip it. do the rest the same, you're not going to hurt anything checking this way, the diode will just stop the button from working if it's backwards.
studentzki
16-bit

by studentzki Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 am

Hello skate323k137,

Sorry for this threat revival, but can you tell me how the connections are from the psx cable of the stick?
I happen to have the same stick, but there's only one saturn plug on the end of the cable, no psx plug. So I tried to solder a psx cable to the PCB myself, but I can't seem to get the connections right.. Can you help me out? Or maybe post some close-up pictures of the PCB with all the cables connected to it?

Would help me a lot...

Thanks in advance.
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:17 pm

studentzki wrote:Hello skate323k137,

Sorry for this threat revival, but can you tell me how the connections are from the psx cable of the stick?
I happen to have the same stick, but there's only one saturn plug on the end of the cable, no psx plug. So I tried to solder a psx cable to the PCB myself, but I can't seem to get the connections right.. Can you help me out? Or maybe post some close-up pictures of the PCB with all the cables connected to it?

Would help me a lot...

Thanks in advance.

man if that works it would be awesome...ps2/3 compatability ^_^
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
Return to Hacks and Mods