TRIALS OF MANA SWITCH OFFICIAL TRANSLATION ON REAL HARDWARE

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: TRIALS OF MANA SWITCH OFFICIAL TRANSLATION ON REAL HARDW

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, was your ROM size correct before splitting it? Ie: no header.

What tools are you using to split and combine the ROMs? Maybe that's what's causing the problem. Maybe try splitting it with just a hex editor.
secretsofmana

Post by secretsofmana »

Cheers for the reply!
There’s no header & im using SNES utility to split it then using command line to combine the first two files in order
Though I’ve just had a thought that I should be maybe expanding the Rom from 48Mb to 64Mb with Lunar expander then splitting into 2 x 32Mb
I’ve just had a quick peak at the the 16Mb file on the second chip and theirs hardly any data on it barring a couple of lines of code which is strange but looking at the untampered rom in hex edition that appears to be true the last 16Mb seems to be all padding maybe
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNES ROM Utility? You're not using the "SwapBin" feature, right?

Take your 32Mb ROM and boot it on a flash cart, see what happens.
secretsofmana

Post by secretsofmana »

Hey!

Rom has been split fine no problems there and I’m not using swapbin feature

The ROM size of trials of mana is 48Mb not 32Mb same as Tales of Phantasia

The game boots up fine and runs great into the menu we’re you choose your 3 heroes etc when circling the map it then circles the ruins and goes black then freezes with the music drones on I’m wondering if it’s to do with the translated ROM and I’ve got to reroute some things.

PIN 13 of the MAD-1 chip is going to pin 2 on the TSOP adapter which is also correct for larger games like ToP

My head is hurting :D
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

secretsofmana wrote:The ROM size of trials of mana is 48Mb not 32Mb

What I meant was, split the first 32Mb off of the Trails of Mana ROM and test that on your flash cart. Just a thought, and I may be way off base here, but you mentioned that the 16Mb that is left over is basically empty. So I was just wondering if it's even game data. Perhaps they tacked on something that the emulator uses? Again, I could be way off base, but I figured it would be easy enough to test and see what happens.

secretsofmana wrote:The game boots up fine and runs great into the menu we’re you choose your 3 heroes etc when circling the map it then circles the ruins and goes black then freezes with the music drones on I’m wondering if it’s to do with the translated ROM and I’ve got to reroute some things.

PIN 13 of the MAD-1 chip is going to pin 2 on the TSOP adapter which is also correct for larger games like ToP

Hmm, yeah, so you're thinking maybe the two ROMs are being mapped correctly on the cart?
secretsofmana

Post by secretsofmana »

Well I’ve found an easier solution which I prefer it’s an adapter that does all bank switching etc no extra wires nothing! Zip the mask Rom out program the TSOPs & stick it back in! This will work with most MAD-1 pcbs it’s the less destructive method for translating the larger than 4MB carts :)

It uses 2 x 29f033 TSOP-40 chips
Attachments
48E35F7E-91E2-4CAD-A30A-F8C1965E9364.jpeg
48E35F7E-91E2-4CAD-A30A-F8C1965E9364.jpeg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 14005 times
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nice! Where did that adapter come from?
secretsofmana

Post by secretsofmana »

I got em from Mark for Retrocircuits!
I did get quite a few spares would you like me to zip you one over?
secretsofmana

Post by secretsofmana »

markfrizb3@gmail.com - his email

Ping him an email if you want one from him direct might be easier thinking about it as I’m in uk!

He’s a top gentleman

:)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks. I'm not so interested in using it, as I don't really make repros anymore, but I am interested in it from a technical standpoint. Do you happen to have any close up pics of the front/back of that adapter?