Using SD Adapter with Action Replay on GC in 2019

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
GenPDP7

Using SD Adapter with Action Replay on GC in 2019

Post by GenPDP7 »

I've got Action Replay MAX for GC, and I got the WiSD card adapter, and a SanDisk 2GB SD card. I should have everything I need to install Swiss, but I've found so many confusing and contradictory things online about how to install it that I have no idea where to start!

There seems to be a problem using the SDPatch.exe to get the SD card ready for use with Gamecube. Apparently it's not compatible with any version of windows past XP. But this is 2019, and I only have access to Windows 10.

What am I supposed to do to get Action Replay to work with an SD adapter?? Most of the tutorials just say "put the card in and it will come up with a list of the contents", but all I get is an error message saying "Please Insert Action Replay Hardware into Slot B"

Please help and thanks!
Last edited by GenPDP7 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Re: Using SD Adapter with Action Replay on GC in 2019

Post by marurun »

Can you try running it in XP compatibility mode in 10? Also, maybe it would work in a Windows XP virtual machine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 »

The instructions I have are to run SDPatch.exe from the command prompt. How would I use compatibility mode settings with command prompt? Is it even necessary to do this? Most of the tutorials I've seen on using Action Replay fail to even mention running SDPatch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Create a shortcut to cmd.exe and Set compatibility mode in the properties. That might work.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 »

No this did not seem to work. Am I the only person left in the world trying to use this SD Loader exploit? With all the talk on YouTube of GC homebrew, it's amazing that nobody else has done anything with this.
marurun

Post by marurun »

GenPDP7 wrote:No this did not seem to work. Am I the only person left in the world trying to use this SD Loader exploit? With all the talk on YouTube of GC homebrew, it's amazing that nobody else has done anything with this.

It is less likely you are the only person left in the world and more likely that nobody who's currently active on the forums has done this in a while.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 »

Yeah. In any case, most people are using more up-to-date solutions (newer Action Replay discs). So perhaps for most it isn't an issue. But in my case I wish there were a way to do this in Win 10.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It took me a while to find a 2GB SD card, but I ran sdpatch.exe found here on my XP laptop, then created an image file using Win32 Disc Imager. I think the best way to write .IMG files to SD is a program called Balena Etcher

SD Patched 2GB SD card image (ZIP Compressed)
I don't have any way of testing to know if it'll work for you, but SDPatch.exe reported success with the SD card patching part at least.

Hope this saves you from having to install XP in VMWare or the like.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 »

Thanks so much. And it might have, but I already went to the trouble of installing XP in VMware, so maybe this will help the next guy and save them the huge amount of trouble it caused me to get all that done.

The good news is that it did work. Installing XP in VMWare does in fact allow you to patch the SD card!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Glad you solved your problem!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage