SNES Code Injection

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

SNES Code Injection

Post by POOPIESkillz »

Hey guys. I found this video on YouTube a while back and saw it again today. It's just as mind blowing to me now as it was the first time.

I never would have thought that you could ever do something like this with just a SNES and a copy of Super Mario World.
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
Ziggy

Re: SNES Code Injection

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, this is amazing! For anyone that doesn't know, and to put it simply, basically you can do a bunch of (seemingly random) crap in Super Mario World to glitch the game into doing something. Speed runners have been using this for some time, but they keep taking it a step further. First, they would just glitch the game to get a glitched item that would end any stage instantly. They used it to get through Iggy's castle. Fast forward a bit, they found out how to "wrong warp" to the credits.

This video does a really good job explaining exactly what is going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHXK2wut_I

Then taking it yet another step forward, you can inject code and run what is basically a homebrew game. Such as Flappy Bird.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

My favorite "start reading data from where you're not supposed to" is the Mario Land 2 they did at a GDQ a few years ago. They glitch the game and have it start reading level data from RAM, so Mario starts navigating through the current RAM as rendered as various blocks and other sprites. The runner them hits certain blocks (while avoiding others that might screw up the game) in order to set the right flags to trigger the victory screen.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

That guy took this idea so far that he's 'modded' (using the same code injection tricks) SMW to use a SNES controller with a number pad so that he can then write more mods more easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Bu815G5FE
Coming up next - the inevitable Doom to Super Mario World port.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Remember in the 90's, there was always that one kid at school that would claim something outrageous like being able to warp to the credits from the second stage in Super Mario World? Who would have guessed it's actually possible!?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Those SMW code injection videos always really impress me. The Mario 64 Parallel Universes thing is also amazing.
Slightly OT, but since Doom was mentioned, the guys who made the NES run Doom and SMW (just feeding video through the NES GPU, and mapping controls through the NES joystick via cartridge slot) gave me a chuckle.
Even more OT, I really want to play Wolfenstein 3D on my GBC. I wish the guy would produces some carts, or at least make the binaries available so someone else could make them...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage