Advice on spray painting a particular Dreamcast part?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
dastroyer21

Advice on spray painting a particular Dreamcast part?

Post by dastroyer21 »

I've read over some of the Guide To Painting Consoles on here which I thought was nicely detailed. However, I was wondering if the process would be different for certain textures of plastic. The guide mentioned sanding down the plastic so the paint will sit on the surface.

In my particular case, I want to spray paint the grey trapezoid plastic part near the triangular LED light on the Dreamcast, as its oddly discolored to a white instead of the original grey. But the plastic on this piece isn't textured like the rest of the casing is with the lightly pebbled texture, as its a more smooth plastic like the PS1 controller plastic.

That said, I was wondering if the Painting Guide would apply differently in any way to this piece? And perhaps if theres a type of spray paint that is better for this sort of plastic?
Or any advice and recommendations on approaching this would be great! I've assessed this and feel this is the only method for restoring the grey to the piece. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it's bugging the crap outta me! :P
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG (388.63 KiB) Viewed 11825 times
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Advice on spray painting a particular Dreamcast part?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Light sand off, tape off masking and just a light pass with Krylon Plastic Paint. The triangle is the press point for closing the door probably why discolored over the years. Another option as a quick custom is shiny color wide tape that covers entire triangle with one pass, trimmed with blade afterwards.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425