Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SpaceBooger

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii

Post by SpaceBooger »

Newer is a full unofficial sequel to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, crafted over the span of 3 years by a team of devoted Nintendo fans. Playable legally on any homebrew-enabled Wii; no piracy or hardware mods needed.

This mod is freakin awesome! The Newer team has created new art assets and new music that makes this game look different than the original. Most mods just remix levels, this game feels new and different... and better. With new art and music, the level design is top notch, making this feel like a better game than the original. Oh did I mention the Hammer Bro suit! Yes, this game even has a new power-up and the hammers can take out Boos. This game is awesome. The connected map gives a Super Mario World vibe and the new "Simon" style mini-game shows that this is not just a mod full of remixed levels. This game feels like an improved sequel similar and on par with how Super Mario Galaxy 2 improved on the original.

If you already hate NSMB games you probably are rolling your eyes at this post. I like the original NSMB Wii game, but the levels were bland to me. This mod and it's levels are better and not as bland and forgettable. If you hate the physics of the NSMB games... this mod doesn't do anything for that.

This game is not hard to get running and it is 100% legit to play on a softmodded Wii. Yeah, you have to softmod your Wii and add a patching program through the Homebrew Channel to patch the original disc, and owning the original disc is a must.

If you don't have a softmodded Wii the same team just recently created a Newer Super Mario Bros DS too. I have not tried this because I have no way to play patched DS games right now.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii

Post by JoeAwesome »

Newer, Another, and all the seasonal mods were very fun to play co-op with. I definitely recommend the mods if you haven't played any of them, but enjoy the original NSMB game.

Edit: I was hoping they'd figure out a way to do new mods for NSMBU, but that hasn't happened, yet.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Newer SMB Wii is awesome!

For anyone that wants to use HDD loading instead of Riivolution, check out this post: viewtopic.php?p=932659#p932659
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

I have "Newer" and "Another" ready to go with USB loader but keep telling myself I'm going to at least beat the original before I dive in to them. I am excited about them though and the fact that they are totally different.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Ziggy587 wrote:Newer SMB Wii is awesome!

For anyone that wants to use HDD loading instead of Riivolution, check out this post: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 59#p932659

I found this guide to make a wbfs version and it addresses the save issue from the beginning.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I found a Super Mario Bros 3+ where all the levels from SMB3 NES were ported to NSMB.
They've made these hacks for the DS as well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Might be a dumb question but can this game, and what looks like other games in the series, be played via Dolphin?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

IDK if Dolphin can use Riivolution patches, but if not you can always create a patched ISO.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:They've made these hacks for the DS as well.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3892/

Image Image Image Image Image