Anyone Using Xlink Kai for oXbox Online Play?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Anyone Using Xlink Kai for oXbox Online Play?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... so it's online simulating LAN play with voice chat. I've been meaning to look into this, but just never have. Anyone playing some Halo 1 & 2 still?

Just curious if we've had any members try this out.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ESauced
64-bit

Re: Anyone Using Xlink Kai for oXbox Online Play?

Post by ESauced »

I tried it out a few years ago. With the halo collection on Xbox one I don’t feel a huge incentive to try it out again, but it was cool playing Halo online when I did. I recall it being a little bit of a pain to set up.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nice. Didn't know it was built to work on current Gen as well.

For some reason... nostalgia I guess, I love the idea of playing Halo 2 "online" again.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

This is still on my to-do list. Anyone interested in trying this out with me? We can try some Halo CE or Halo 2.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Jagosaurus wrote:This is still on my to-do list. Anyone interested in trying this out with me? We can try some Halo CE or Halo 2.

If you've still not tried it by the time I move in July/August, I'll definitely try it out with you. Got no access to ethernet with my current Xbox set-up but plan to in the new house (whatever house that ends up being).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Are those games playable on 360? If so it's probably be easier to play them via XBLA no?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Noise.... voice of reason... You let me tinker with old crap and work arounds! :wink: :lol:.

I don't have a paid xbox gold sub to begin with. Also, the original Halo did have online just local (which is what Xlink is simulating). It's also my understanding they shut down the original XBL back in 2010 and Halo 2 online died then.

Related (sort of) and worth noting oXbox games don't have achievement on either 360 on xbone. They want you to buy Halo CE Anniversary and Halo MC Collection.

Elkin, I'll likely try it out before hand and then we can get hopefully get it working when you move. There seems to still be a decent community that plays on the weekend.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Elkin,

I dug into this some more. If your 360 has a wifi connection now, we can try it out. Apparently you can system link an oXbox and 360 over a network (not directly via cable). Xlink is simulating LAN play so you can have someone with Halo 2 on a 360 play someone with Halo 2 on an oXbox in 2018 over the internet for free :shock: Man, that is cool. Of course, it would work between 360s only as well.

I want to get it working on my oXbox for kicks because I miss the early XBL days of Halo 2 but my 360 stays hooked up so that is honestly a better long term solution for me.

Looks like there is fairly active community for the 360 Halo games on Xlink. At this point, Noise is right, XBL/Gold is easier and true match making multiplayer. Xlink is free and simulating LAN play.

Edit/Add:
Here's a YouTube tutorial on getting this working on a 360:
https://youtu.be/rH5gBLOI2lU

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I really havent used it in a decade, but it was great fun back in the Halo 1 days.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Elkin,

I dug into this some more. If your 360 has a wifi connection now, we can try it out. Apparently you can system link an oXbox and 360 over a network (not directly via cable). Xlink is simulating LAN play so you can have someone with Halo 2 on a 360 play someone with Halo 2 on an oXbox in 2018 over the internet for free :shock: Man, that is cool. Of course, it would work between 360s only as well.

I want to get it working on my oXbox for kicks because I miss the early XBL days of Halo 2 but my 360 stays hooked up so that is honestly a better long term solution for me.

Looks like there is fairly active community for the 360 Halo games on Xlink. At this point, Noise is right, XBL/Gold is easier and true match making multiplayer. Xlink is free and simulating LAN play.

Edit/Add:
Here's a YouTube tutorial on getting this working on a 360:
https://youtu.be/rH5gBLOI2lU

Yeah, my 360 stays hooked up, so I'm game. I agree that it would be cooler to use oXbox just for the lulz.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.