Lost cause/ failed PS3 hack

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Lost cause/ failed PS3 hack

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so let's say, hypothetically, someone had a PS3 slim. This poor soul decided that the new hack for 4.82 sounded neat and wanted to use it on a CECH 2501A system. He thinks that surely this is compatible as he has seen 2501B systems that have been hacked (and "A" comes before "B", after all :roll: )...
So he throws caution to the wind and skips the "Checking if you can hack your PS3" step.
All goes well at first, and the nor is flashed.
Then the system turns off (as expected)... and that's the last it ever successfully works. It will not turn on and recovery menu is no longer accessible.

This guy is obviously an idiot, but after a few web searches, he has written off the system as a complete loss. Without the original nor backup, even an E3 flasher would be useless right?

What would someone do to mitigate this tragedy of utter stupidity? Would this system be useful for anything other than parts for another system?

I realize there are better forums to ask this, but I know a lot of people here have some good understanding of how systems work (I thought I was one of them, but I don't know what to tell the guy in this instance).

--EDIT--
Let's assume this guide was used
http://wololo.net/2017/11/27/tutorial-u ... -friendly/
and went foul after the "3. Running the exploit" step was completed.
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Lost cause/ failed PS3 hack

Post by nightrnr »

yeah, I thought as much.
I mean, if it were a hackable system (has been on 3.55 at one time), I think you could manually retrieve what was left of the Nor and patch with Rogero (or some such ritual), but it seems truly a hopeless cause.

Or, if you could salvage a Nor chip from another system and solder it to this one (I've done a similar operation on an oXbox), that would be something, but I think the Nor is tied to the individual PS3 board. And reflashing it with another Nor backup would be essentially the same thing and I know that does't work.

Amazing how easy it is to junk a system these days (knowing just enough to be dangerous and all that).

Still, actual hackable PS3's are pretty neat. At least I'm not talking about a system that had higher potential (upcoming HEN exploits aside).

To all other would-be PS3 modders, it pays to be paranoid.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Yikes. I assume this was the system I had sold you.

nightrnr wrote:(knowing just enough to be dangerous and all that).

This is what stops me from modding more systems, including the PS3 when I had it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Nope, that PS3 is perfect Joe :).
I have it on Rebug and been playing Soul Calibur and Fallout on it and works beautifully with the 500gb drive I put in it. The only trouble it had was with the 1.5TB drive, which is now in my OFW PS3.

Thanks again, I love it.

No, the other in question is a spare that I thought would be fun to experiment with. I'm learning some tough lessons that I really should have known already.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I only recently started researching PS3 CFW... seemed a bit all over the place being newer with constant advances. I was waiting on it to calm down a bit. I'm still interested and will bookmark that thread :).

Good luck man.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:I only recently started researching PS3 CFW... seemed a bit all over the place being newer with constant advances. I was waiting on it to calm down a bit. I'm still interested and will bookmark that thread :).

Good luck man.

From my research, PS3 and x360 hacking are far more nuanced than the Wii or any generation below, primarily because of FW updates. Several years later, Jag, and it won't get much easier, IMO.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I don't know, I think PS3 hacking is in its prime right now... or will be once a hen/MFW comes out.
Rebug is quite good, although I only use it for PS3 games. Emulation of anything else needs to happen on other systems.

Really it just went bad for me because I was not cautious (I didn't even notice the manufacturing date). The processes that I did follow would have totally worked if it were the right system model.

I just wish I could save it somehow. I think I messed it up so badly that even an elite hacker would be out of luck. From what I understand, you would need a backup before I killed it, or Sony's keys for 4.82 OFW to have any hope.

All well, an extra hard drive and a spare blue-ray isn't too bad to have around. I guess I got a Dualshock 3 out of it too.