SNES Slim made using original SNES Heavyweight.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
ps2emotions

SNES Slim made using original SNES Heavyweight.

Post by ps2emotions »

Instead of posting individual pictures of this I figured I'd just post link to the details of how I made it. Basically I wanted a early SNES internals inside a much smaller form factor which provides S-video out (btw game boy games look so great through the super game boy with S-video) & the early SNES model I used has the separate audio module. It was a tight fit. to get it all in there & making the cartridge slot dust covers work required a big revision at the end because I had to lower the motherboard about 1/8" because it was barely striking the top of the cartridge connector. Super famicom games no issue either so I kind of wanted design elements of both the SNES and Super Famicom to mix. Here's the link.

https://www.instructables.com/id/SNES-S ... g-Console/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Slim made using original SNES Heavyweight.

Post by Exhuminator »

Needless to say I was very happy after firing it up and seeing all was good. Hopefully it will provide me a pathway through many 16 bit worlds from the 90's.

Pretty cool project and turned out well aesthetically.

I have to wonder about heat dissipation though. The original SNES casing allowed more air flow around the components, is it damaging for say the capacitors to have this more restricted aero-thermal ventilation over time?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ps2emotions

Post by ps2emotions »

Exhuminator wrote:
Needless to say I was very happy after firing it up and seeing all was good. Hopefully it will provide me a pathway through many 16 bit worlds from the 90's.

Pretty cool project and turned out well aesthetically.

I have to wonder about heat dissipation though. The original SNES casing allowed more air flow around the components, is it damaging for say the capacitors to have this more restricted aero-thermal ventilation over time?

Actually it don't get any warmer than the standard SNES. I did a lot of research about how hot the snes gets & about the heatshield (which I didn't mod) & was going to add a small fan had I thought it was going to be an issue but realized it would have been a waste. The old speaker vent on it was just above the heatsink too which makes it even better. I even considered adding some vents on the back but concluded that wasn't needed either after comparing it to the standard SNES. These systems never really get too hot anyways just like the NES because they really don't pull much. The voltage regulator takes the heat reducing the voltage from 10-12 down to 5 & the heatsink soaks up that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ps2emotions wrote:The voltage regulator takes the heat reducing the voltage from 10-12 down to 5 & the heatsink soaks up that.

That makes sense enough. So the more blocky design of the original SNES was based in aesthetics despite unnecessary plastic.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.