HD Combo for PS2 Slim ~ SwapMagic to load ELF HDLoader?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I installed the HD Combo on my v12 PS2 Slim. I checked all the solder points for any bridges. It all looks pretty good. I've tried uLaunchElf and HDLoader. Both are the newest versions. The problem is that the very second either of them attempts to access the hard drive (an 80GB WD), the blue HDD light turns purple, and the machine locks up. I can reset the system but the HDD light remains purple and locked. If I try to access the drive again, those apps then say there is no HDD. I then power off and on the HDD and it's a blue light again. I can't figure out what's wrong.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Most beautiful thing I've seen in 36 hours.
I swapped motherboards with a broken slim I had, reinstalled hdcombo on it. Tadah!

I hope I never have to solder points that small again. :x
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

Going 500 gig?
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

wyatt wrote:Going 500 gig?

It's set to arrive wednesday :)
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Nice. I've always thought if I got a setup like this running that it would be fun have all the great retro compilations available for the PS2 on my hdd.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Well it was nice while it lasted. Then the HDCombo shell totally chomped off the pull string on the ribbon cable. I did everything I could to remove the cable from my drive but damaged it anyway. Then I tried replacing it only to realize that the ribbon cable is attached in some custom way, and even after desoldering it, I can't remove it from the hdcombo's pcb board.

This whole thing has been such a nightmare.
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

Mozgus wrote:Well it was nice while it lasted. Then the HDCombo shell totally chomped off the pull string on the ribbon cable. I did everything I could to remove the cable from my drive but damaged it anyway. Then I tried replacing it only to realize that the ribbon cable is attached in some custom way, and even after desoldering it, I can't remove it from the hdcombo's pcb board.

This whole thing has been such a nightmare.

Ouch.

Have fun with that...
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Good to be back, finally. Ordered another HDCombo, but they didn't ship UPS like I paid $13 extra for, which is why it took so long. I'm demanding a refund of that much or else I give a bad review at resellerratings.com where they have an extremely high score.

107 games loaded. 100GB still free. Hope I dont ever have to risk taking the drive out again. The IDE pull string is already creasing. Theres just no helping it. Bad case design.

Last edited by Mozgus on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

exactly how much did this cost?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

vlame wrote:exactly how much did this cost?

http://mod-chip.com/en/ps2_hd_combo.php

I already got a response from them about the shipping mishap, and he's offering a spare hdcombo shell + pcb to me as a refund for the overcharge on shipping. This means I can repair my first hdcombo, and install it in my second ps2 slim. I'll have two HDD capable ps2 slims, a 500GB and 80GB.