[Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

[Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

I'm sort of stumped here. I was replacing the capacitors, and when I hit a checkpoint, I get no video. Audio is coming through, so I know it's booting the game, but I get squat on the video. I tried to undo the last couple caps I removed just to see, and still nothing. I've got continuity (checked with multi meter) on the AV cable, I've got continuity from the cable to the port too. Past that, I'm unsure what and how I should check things. I bet it's something small and easily fixable, yeah? Maybe more like I pray it is. Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by that1crzywhtguy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ziggy

Re: No video mid cap replacement?

Post by Ziggy »

First, some context might go a long way. I'm assuming you're recapping a console. What console is it? Are you following a guide? If so, post a link to the guide you are using. Did you purchase a cap kit? If so, which one? If you're using a cap kit, did you make sure the kit was for the correct revision and region console you have? If you acquired the caps yourself, are you sure they're correct values?

Are you sure you installed the new caps with the correct polarity? That sure would mess things up. If even just one cap is backwards, that could cause issues.
marurun

Post by marurun »

What were you modding? Check to make sure you didn't drop any solder on the board or accidentally scratch or clip anything.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Ziggy587 wrote:First, some context might go a long way. I'm assuming you're recapping a console. What console is it? Are you following a guide? If so, post a link to the guide you are using. Did you purchase a cap kit? If so, which one? If you're using a cap kit, did you make sure the kit was for the correct revision and region console you have? If you acquired the caps yourself, are you sure they're correct values?

Are you sure you installed the new caps with the correct polarity? That sure would mess things up. If even just one cap is backwards, that could cause issues.

Oh darnit! I'm sorry, what a dumb oversight on my part! It was late, and I was clearly tired by that point. It's a region modded PC-Engine Duo. I wasn't following a guide exactly, but I bought the cap kit from console5.com, and was using their map on their wiki for placement. The cap kit is for the right region (works on both).

I have checked the polarities as well, they all seem right. I haven't finished replacing every cap, but the console was working and displaying video before.

marurun wrote:What were you modding? Check to make sure you didn't drop any solder on the board or accidentally scratch or clip anything.

I have inspected the board fairly carefully, and I don't see any dropped solder or damage.

I appreciate the input from both of you, so sorry for the silly oversights in my post!
Ziggy

Re: PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I figured it was Console5.

I would say just double and triple check that all the caps are in the right spot with the correct polarity. With so many caps, it can be easy to overlook just one.

Did you get the SMD kit? Or did you get the through-hole kit? If you got the through-hole kit, I would say double check and make sure there are no shorts with the new cap leads. It can be easy to create shorts, especially in cramped areas.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, I figured it was Console5.

I would say just double and triple check that all the caps are in the right spot with the correct polarity. With so many caps, it can be easy to overlook just one.

Did you get the SMD kit? Or did you get the through-hole kit? If you got the through-hole kit, I would say double check and make sure there are no shorts with the new cap leads. It can be easy to create shorts, especially in cramped areas.

That is indeed the map I used. I have now checked the caps and the polarity for a 4th time, as well as checking to make sure there were no shorts. I did the through hole kit. I didn't actually replace all of the caps just yet, I was checking as I went to make sure it was still working when I discovered the lack of video coming out.

Any other ideas of what to check next?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Did you remove the caps in a destructive way? If not, you could replace the old caps in the reverse order you took them out, checking after each one to see if the console works again.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Ziggy587 wrote:Did you remove the caps in a destructive way? If not, you could replace the old caps in the reverse order you took them out, checking after each one to see if the console works again.

Unfortunately, for the most part I did destroy them on the way out. I was very careful to assure I only destroyed the cap on the way out, and not the pads. I did not, however, destroy what I believe to be the last one I replaced before it went dark on me. I already tried to replace that one and no luck unfortunately. I would expect that if there was a cap issue, I would have video problems not zero video at all, but I'm definitely not an expert. This is a most befuddling problem. I keep poking around and checking things with the multimeter, but so far have no luck seeing anything untoward.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Just had a thought... Any chance the combination of some new and some old caps is causing the issue? Should I just complete the cap job and hope for the best?

Maybe that's way off, but as I said, I'm no expert!

:idea: :? :lol: :D
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, if you think your technique is sound, it won't make it any worse. Not working is not working.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.