[Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Post by Ziggy »

that1crzywhtguy wrote:Just had a thought... Any chance the combination of some new and some old caps is causing the issue? Should I just complete the cap job and hope for the best?

Maybe that's way off, but as I said, I'm no expert!

:idea: :? :lol: :D

I don't see how that combo would cause the system not to work. If the system was working with 100% of the old caps, it should work after replacing each cap. That is assuming each new cap is the correct value, installed with the correct polarity, and everything else mentioned above.

Of course, I'm not expert either!
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

I would still replace the remaining caps while you're at it, if you continue to leave them there you run a larger risk of having damaged traces/pads.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

So bit of an update here. I continued replacing the caps for a while, and while not totally done, have finished about 75%. This has been really bugging me as it doesn't seem like this problem should be caused/fixed by caps. Most of the caps I replaced even tested okay, and it's so weird to go from video working to just blank video.

The other thing I thought to do as a testing thing was to install the RGB chip I ordered from Voultar, and see if I could get RGB video out. I mean, who cares about composite anyway, right? :D

Well, after an install of that, I get the same deal. No video. I'm suspecting this has something to do with the fact that this system doesn't seem to be sending out composite video so I'm getting no signal for sync? Or maybe something else.

As always, appreciate the help in advance.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You're in well over my head at this point. Sorry. : (
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Re: [Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

Somebody tipped me off on another forum that "the problem is the traces for the 470uf capacitor which is right by the power switch."

Sure enough, that was it. I broke the trace near that point. After repairing, we have video!
marurun

Re: [Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacement?

Post by marurun »

I am really glad you found it. I hate to see a PC Engine system retired before its time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.