SNES & NES RetroDuo handheld in GBA Organizer case -FINISHED

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

SNES & NES RetroDuo handheld in GBA Organizer case -FINISHED

Post by bacteria »

Another commission for Rick (guy who commissioned me to build the N64 recently and Genesis system; both also in GBA Organizer case).

Hardware is a clone, the RetroDuo, which means can use NES and SNES Everdrives to make the system duo.

He provided this hardware and controller, plus funds for the commission.

So, initially tested with the hardware. Tried two screens, one higher resolution (which scrolled the screen so useless) and this normal lower resolution one, which is fine anyway as the consoles output low resolution - which works great.

To make sure everything fits in the case as should, i'm going to remove the boards from the Everdrives and hardwire them to the RetroDuo board such that they lay flat and also the SD cards, as best as can, are accessible.
Last edited by bacteria on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: SNES and NES combined handheld in GBA Organizer case

Post by bacteria »

Had anticipated doing work on this over the weekend however wife's father is in a bad way at the moment, just out of hospital but back in again. Mind you, if she has to spend time with her mother this week (who lives 200 miles away so not exactly local) i'll probably be doing a fair bit of modding to keep my mind active and elsewhere. Or not. Depends how things pan out. Ho hum.

All I did after the photos above so far was remove the boards from the Everdrives; and am now in the process of working out the connections from the SNES/NES switch on the RetroDuo as it uses a 16 wire connector but some pins are not connected. The bloody switch broke apart when removed so I had to rebuild it, however not using it again as don't trust it, so therefore working out the pins to use to use a better switch - have to be careful so as not to make a mistake.

So either i'll be doing a shitload of modding at the end of the week or little; not sure yet...
No rush anyway, I do modding when have time for it rather than to a timescale.

Will give updates and photos when have them on this project, of course.
I am the Bacman
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hope your Wife's father is doing better. Important she makes that trip for her Mom.

That SNES/NES portable looks neat, great idea on the Everdrive support to have an all games in the box option.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Bac in action again, huh? Always interested to see what you're cooking up. Sorry to hear about the wife's father. Hope things turn for the better.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Yeah, thanks. She will probably go up and see him in a couple of days, for anything from a day to a week, no idea yet.

samsonlonghair - i've been modding for about the last 9 years or so, always projects to do. This guy has this commission; someone else wants me to do them an N64 in GBA Organiser case and after that someone else wants a PS2 portable; after that someone else who bought stuff from me a few months ago is interested in a system or two. So yes, i'll be modding for a fair while yet; people like my work! :mrgreen:
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Yup, wife is going to her parents tomorrow for a few days.

That means apart from watching some films the rest of my time will probably be spent modding, so I should make good progress in the next week for sure on this project - it will keep my mind busy after all while she is away :(

UPDATE - yup, she has left for a few days. I am quite sad about this to put it mildly; missing her already; so played some Motorhead to take my mind off things at work (I work in the office my myself most days), will be doing a fair bit of modding over the next days for sure; busy mind = less stress. Modding will keep my mind busy, Motorhead is good as it isn't soppy music and has a kick to it, so good if you feel a bit down.

Tonight i'll have to continue working out the main switch as cannot make a mistake on it; can then do the cartridge relocations so everything will sit nicely in the casing. When it is done in the next days to that stage i'll post photos.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Father in law has been getting a lot worse, in intensive care at the hospital yesterday morning, by midday his lungs, heart and kidneys were failing; today he died. Fuck. My wife is spending a few days with her mother.

At least he died while heavily sedated.

Spent some time today doing modding, did good progress but not as much as intended as "didn't feel in the mood for it".

Anyway, relocated the EverdriveNES and it's board, the regulator, relocating controller is next and also the EverdriveSNES. Worked out the 16 wires to the switch to select SNES or NES could be reduced to 3, so a normal SPDT switch did the job.

The Everdrive boards will end up flush to the RetroDuo board so both the SD cards can be removed from the case.
I am the Bacman
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

My condolences.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My deepest sympathies.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Wife is up there for a few more days, then i'm up there for a week, funeral, help Mother-in Law with working out her finances, general support, etc etc.

Made some progress today, although with the phone calls to support my wife and also research for the cause, not done as much so far today as intended however made solid progress on the project and will have a few hours later today to do more.

Both Everdrives are relocated onto the RetroDuo board now, both working. I need to rig up the controller back to the console board and then make the holes for the SD cards in the GBA Organiser case before mounting into it. I intend to do that later today. That will mean in effect the back of the case will be completed along with the electronics, then only need to concentrate on the screen and control holes as well as installing batteries, charging circuit, switches; etc.

If anyone has a RetroDuo console and intends to make it into a handheld and would like to know how to run the switch (16 connections) from a standard SPDT switch i'll upload a photo of the connections. It only needs 1 voltage pin connected to one pin for SNES and a different pin for NES, so quite easy.
I am the Bacman