Re: SNES & NES RetroDuo handheld in GBA Organizer case -FINI

Post by Gunstar Green »

This was super clever. Awesome job.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks.

These cases are pretty impossible to get now, when I got some a few months back they were around but rare, I had to import one from France and one from Spain for example, however now I don't see any anywhere. I have 2 or 3 remaining in stock including a rare light grey one, still boxed.

I have someone who says he wants to proceed with an N64 system (that will take one case) and someone else after that who might proceed (another one), may have 1 left, maybe not; and may need that one anyway. Just had an enquiry for the one-off probably no-one else will make one either HDMI (from native RGB) Atari 7800 console - let's see, in discussions at the moment - if that happens, i'll post full worklog here of course and also run that system alongside one of the other commissions i'll start in January.

I suspect as the availability of these GBA Organisers (Logic 3 cases) seemed to go when I posted the first such video that that might be the reason they have become extra rare on ebay as others are getting them! :oops:
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I just watched your video. Great work, Bac!
ps2emotions

Post by ps2emotions »

Really cool, great job!
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks.

I haven't made a portable for many months now, i'll probably end up selling the remaining GBA Organiser cases; they are hard to get hold of these days so i'm sure they will get bought. Nice cases for projects.

Only modding i've done for about a year now is a current project of migrating the keys from a normal keyboard to a small format wireless one, means remounting every button in order to use proper keys not the clicky laptop types. I have also migrated the small mouse innards to a regular one. Will post that in due course.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

bacteria wrote:Thanks.

I haven't made a portable for many months now, i'll probably end up selling the remaining GBA Organiser cases; they are hard to get hold of these days so i'm sure they will get bought. Nice cases for projects.

Only modding i've done for about a year now is a current project of migrating the keys from a normal keyboard to a small format wireless one, means remounting every button in order to use proper keys not the clicky laptop types. I have also migrated the small mouse innards to a regular one. Will post that in due course.

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

I'm working on a little keyboard project of my own right now.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Basically, I don't use the numpad ever, so went for a wireless keyboard without that area. Only keys I use above the direction keys are delete and print screen, which I have programmed alternative keys using AutoHotKey program, which works well. I also needed that program as when I changed the guts of the smaller wireless mouse into a larger mouse, it had a larger scroll wheel so had to reverse the movement of the scroll wheel, which I also used AutoHotKey for.

The keys from the new keyboard are being used instead of the clicky laptop ones, which means I have to migrate the key holders from old keyboard to new one, which I have mostly done now, and also reduced the size of the space bar to fit. Quite a bit of work, I hope it is all worth it!

Nice to have a project that isn't for making handheld portables, which I haven't made any now for about 1.5 years. Good use of modding skills though.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Neat. Are you using a rubber dome membrane or mechanical key switches?

Also, do you need to modify the matrix underneath the keys to account for reconfiguring your keyboard?
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Rubber dome ones are the nice ones i'm using instead of the small clicky type on slim posts. That means I am having to remove the space on the new keyboard that housed the pad holder for that and replace with the other type. This project is proving to take longer than thought, works fine for normal keys however space bar and other larger buttons are more of an issue.

Decided to therefore remove the undersides of the new keys to replace with undersides from old keyboard so buttons are same size and more importantly, the springs that depress larger keys evenly is maintained. A bit of a compromise but not much. Hassle though.

Using same button press contact positions so no changes to the membrane needed.
I am the Bacman