Wii Softmod 2016

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: Wii Softmod 2016

Post by Ziggy »

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I have bought from Raphnet in the past. Good Quality adapters that last for years.

Be aware they are located in Canada, so shipping can be expensive and time-consuming if you live in the United States. That's not Raphnet's fault; it's just the reality of shipping between Canada and the United States. Somehow I can ship something from China for half a penny, but it costs significantly more to ship straight from our neighbors to the North. C'est la vie!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The two times I've ordered from raphnet in the past, my stuff came pretty quick.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ok, enjoying my recently modded PS2 & oXbox a lot so modding the Wii is high on my list. Likely a January 2017 project.

I will definitely try emulators but it isn't my main interest at the moment.

My 3 primary questions, will the Letter Bomb method:
- Allow me to play retail GCN images off SD, USB, and/or both?
- Allow me to play retail Wii images off SD, USB, and/or both?
- If so, which homebrew apps are needed?
(for example, after soft modding, AHDL or OPL needed on PS2 to boot retail games)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:Ok, enjoying my recently modded PS2 & oXbox a lot so modding the Wii is high on my list. Likely a January 2017 project.

I will definitely try emulators but it isn't my main interest at the moment.

My 3 primary questions, will the Letter Bomb method:
- Allow me to play retail GCN images off SD, USB, and/or both?
- Allow me to play retail Wii images off SD, USB, and/or both?
- If so, which homebrew apps are needed?
(for example, after soft modding, AHDL or OPL needed on PS2 to boot retail games)

So... The Letterbomb method cracks open the Wii for homebrew. What comes after that is a matter of homebrew installation, plus a healthy dose of trial and error.

I don't recommend loading images off of the SD card because of size constraints. You can boot ROM images from 8bit and 16bit systems off your SD card if you like. I would load Wii and GCN images off of a USB hard drive.

Look into an application called USB loader GX.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

SpaceBooger wrote:Knowing that 3rd party classic controllers did not work with homebrew (mainly the SNES emulator), but I took a chance.... and it does not work.

Try Retroarch. Ive had controllers not work in FCEultra or SNES9x, but work fine in Retroarch.

samsonlonghair wrote:Look into an application called USB loader GX.

It runs everything I have thrown at it off my hdd. Cube, Wii, Triforce. Though Triforce needs a specific loader and is really not worth it other than to say you have done it. One of the best bits of Wiihomebrew ever crafted. That said you will have to play with it alittle.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Once you get Homebrew Channel installed, you'll want to follow this tutorial I posted a few pages back to get Wii ISO loading working. Nintendont (and I think Devolution) for Gamecube loading will work just with Homebrew Channel installed, as will most of your random homebrew applications, including all your emulators.

Sarge wrote:This looks similar to the guide I used to set mine up. Basically, you need a few more cIOSs installed to run Wii backups.

https://sites.google.com/site/completes ... stallation
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks Fastbilly, Samson, & Sarge. I did a decent bit of research (old thread lurking, guide reading, and youtube videos) and asked RB members before jumping into the oXbox and PS2 mod scene. You fellows have given me a great starting place to begin digging!

Emu isn't super high priority as I have it up and running seamlessly on the oXbox with a controller... but I know myself and once I get the Wii mod going, I'll want to try them out anyway :lol:. It was low priority on my PS2 mod project also... 10 PS2 FMCB emulators later, I had a lot of fun with it :D

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The original XBOX is fantastic for emulation, and for arcade stuff it's likely superior to the Wii. But there are also some nice updated emulators for Wii like Mednafen. I'd recommend it for stuff like Turbo Duo or Virtual Boy.

I need to bust out my oXB and play some arcade games again. There's a few I've read about over on HG101 that I'd like to give a shot.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:The original XBOX is fantastic for emulation, and for arcade stuff it's likely superior to the Wii. But there are also some nice updated emulators for Wii like Mednafen. I'd recommend it for stuff like Turbo Duo or Virtual Boy.

I need to bust out my oXB and play some arcade games again. There's a few I've read about over on HG101 that I'd like to give a shot.

Well my biggest draw there is, my Wii is about 6-8 years newer than my oXbox so I'll expect less problems with components as time goes on. Already had to replace the oXbox cooling fan which went out and was causing overheating. About to remove the time capacitor which is dead and I'm afraid will start leaking soon.

Yeah, I have TG16 MEDNAFEN for the oXbox and I dig it. Sure it's only gotten better over the revisions and for multiple systems.

Sadly, haven't even put MAME on my oXbox yet :shock: . On the to-do.

Thanks again gents.