Wii Softmod 2016

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Softmod 2016

Post by nightrnr »

I never had much luck with GX. I'm sure it works if you have it set up right, but I moved on.

I use something called Customizable USB loader. Works with every Wii game I throw on there, and let's you download game covers through wi-fi.
Also lets you copy your Wii discs and only uses the space needed for the game. It automatically splits large games (over 4gb) into 2 files.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Okay, starting my research for this mod... any one tried using .iso files with USB loader GX for 2 disc games on the GCN such as Code Veronica, Tales of Symphonia, Killer 7 ,etc?

USB Loader GX itself does not handle GCN games. What you can do is get a separate GCN loader app (Nintendont, DIOS MIOS) and USB Loader GX will allow you to boot GCN games via the GCN loader app but through the USB Loader GX GUI.

I don't own any 2-disc GCN games myself, so I cannot answer your question regarding that.

nightrnr wrote:I never had much luck with GX. I'm sure it works if you have it set up right, but I moved on.

I use something called Customizable USB loader. Works with every Wii game I throw on there, and let's you download game covers through wi-fi.
Also lets you copy your Wii discs and only uses the space needed for the game. It automatically splits large games (over 4gb) into 2 files.

Maybe you tried USB Loader GX a while back when it wasn't as good? I only first installed the HBC about a year ago, so I haven't used versions of any of the apps that are older than that.

USB Loader GX allows you to download cover art from the net. In fact, you can grab several different versions of each cover, as to fit the multiple display options. And I haven't had any issues loading/playing any of the Wii games I've tried so far.

USB Loader GX will allow you to copy game discs, and you can chose to let it scrub them too. I set my HDD up with a NTFS partition so I don't have to mess around with the FAT32 file size limit or a bastard WBFS format. Games are ripped to .wbfs, but you can use CleanRip to get a 1:1 .iso image if you wish (which is another benefit of using NTFS so you don't have to mess around with split files).
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I actually want the split files, as I like the option of putting them on flash drives. I have a master USB hard drive with all my games on it. But Flash memory stands up to wear and tear better.

Isn't USB Loader GX really picky about what you name the folders though. Configurable USB loader lets you name the folders pretty much anything.

I think the 2 programs have a lot of the same options and features. I just took to one a lot better that the other.

I have heard nothing but problems loading Gamecube games through the USB loaders (and I had no luck either, again, probably naming issues and settings). I just boot up Nintendont on its own. It's not as pretty (no cover art), but the function is more than serviceable.

Really, there are so many homebrew options nowadays. I just go with what works best for me and game on.
...just another lost soul...
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I use USB Loader GX and it works well. I do also use WBFS Manager 3.0 to format and transfer games to the USB stick. The only problem is that I can only get it to load one stick instead of two from both ports.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

SpaceBooger wrote: The only problem is that I can only get it to load one stick instead of two from both ports.

That's not USB Loader GX's fault. I was talking to Jag about that a couple weeks ago on this very thread. I asserted that this is a hardware issue. Both USB ports share a single bus and a single power supply. Jag concurred pointing out that those two USB ports were intended for attaching peripheral accessories, not transferring data from mass storage.
zonipoi

Post by zonipoi »

s8n wrote:ive done about 18 softmod installs on my own WII's and never had a problem with the below guide you guys may want to try it.

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

Long time lurker here, hello all. Used this guide and everything went smoothly. Emulators were very easy to set up and now in the process of ripping my Wii and Gamecube games to the 1tb external HDD I bought. Wii games work great with USB Loader GX (haven't tried other loaders yet) and I really like how slick the library looks on the software. Haven't had time yet to set up Nintendont for GC games but hoping it goes smoothly too.

I had already packed the Wii to the closet but now it's replacing GC under the TV. Hope this also motivates me to play Wii games (and GC games as well) as using Wii U for them just seemed to be too much hassle for me.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

zonipoi wrote:
s8n wrote:ive done about 18 softmod installs on my own WII's and never had a problem with the below guide you guys may want to try it.

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

Long time lurker here, hello all. Used this guide and everything went smoothly. Emulators were very easy to set up and now in the process of ripping my Wii and Gamecube games to the 1tb external HDD I bought. Wii games work great with USB Loader GX (haven't tried other loaders yet) and I really like how slick the library looks on the software. Haven't had time yet to set up Nintendont for GC games but hoping it goes smoothly too.

I had already packed the Wii to the closet but now it's replacing GC under the TV. Hope this also motivates me to play Wii games (and GC games as well) as using Wii U for them just seemed to be too much hassle for me.

Welcome to the forums, zonipoi. Stay a while and make a few friends. :mrgreen:
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

GOBBLE GOBBLE
ONE OF US

ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I’m a little late to the game. Just picked up a spare Wii and want to mod it. Lots of these sites are down now. Does anyone know of a good resource that’s available today?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ESauced wrote:I’m a little late to the game. Just picked up a spare Wii and want to mod it. Lots of these sites are down now. Does anyone know of a good resource that’s available today?

Not a be all end all guide, but I recent posted this. All of the links still work, and those are the legit sites you want to be using.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39608&start=7110#p1129047