Wii Softmod 2016

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Softmod 2016

Post by Jagosaurus »

s8n wrote:ive done about 18 softmod installs on my own WII's and never had a problem with the below guide you guys may want to try it.

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

That guide looks legit. I had to do A LOT of digging for my PS2 mod. Nice that's a fairly concise thread. But a lot of info for a first timer. I need to read that thread & do some googling on what all I'd like to accomplish versus the apps needed.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

SpaceBooger wrote:I didn't try to play a disc, but when I put in Xenoblade the disc channel said "system update" shoo o didn't need with it.
When modifying it, bootmii (I think) was installed.

My copy of Xenoblade shows the same thing when I pop it in. That's when I use Gecko OS to boot. That being said, I'm not even sure that update is a true system update, it could just be one that adds an extra channel to your home screen. I didn't take the chance, though. (I have before, though, and had no ill effects to my HBC install. I didn't have any custom IOSs installed then, though.)

You probably won't get that with too many other games.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think you're supposed to update your wii to the latest software before you begin softmodding.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That Xenoblade update is weird, though, because it shows it even if you're already at 4.3. I still suspect it's just a channel update, but like I said, not taking the chance. Although I've got ModMii installed, and a backup of my NAND in case anything goes wrong.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm going to confess my ignorance here. I don't really know exactly what a NAND is. I take it that NAND is some kind of firmware, or maybe the equivalent of BIOS for a game console.

I only ever hear the term NAND within the context of XBOX or Wii hacking wherein everyone seems to stress the importance of backing up one's NAND, but even if I did successfully perform this backup I wouldn't know where to store the data or how to restore the NAND in case of emergency.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I used the wrong name, it's BootMii, not ModMii. ModMii I believe is an automated package for Windows that will build up your memory card for modding purposes. BootMii is basically a form of bricking protection.

So if you have an older Wii, you can install BootMii in the "boot2" sector, allowing you to access backup/restore options before you even start booting the primary Wii functions. This is where you would restore the NAND if something goes wrong.

The NAND is basically the entirety of the Wii's internal memory. It's where all your purchases are stored, your save games, WiiWare games, even the amount of points you have left on the shop. Lose that, and you lose everything, unless you talk to Nintendo. And, if you're modded, there might be a chance they won't help you. :P

If you don't have an older system that allows boot2 access, then you can still install BootMii as a channel / software, but it doesn't protect against your System Menu going completely screwy, just if you manage to inject a WAD wrong or something like that. In that case, it's remarkably useful, although I've never had to use it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Sarge wrote:The NAND is basically the entirety of the Wii's internal memory. It's where all your purchases are stored, your save games, WiiWare games, even the amount of points you have left on the shop.

So... this naturally begs the question... has anyone created a method of overwriting the number of points one has in the shop?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, probably. It's just a good way to get permanently banned. And besides, if you've got access to your NAND, just adding the purchases manually is the safer way to go.

I may also be wrong as to how the Wii points are stored. I bet that's contained on Nintendo's servers, but on a system basis, and not an account basis. So if you lose the system, you lose the points.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

So basically it makes more sense just to install the WADs yourself rather than trying to spoof your wii points?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Definitely. Although I haven't gotten to that, because I bought the stuff I wanted already. ;)