Wii Softmod 2016

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Softmod 2016

Post by Sarge »

One of the easiest ways to get arcade stuff set up is find a pre-built DVD with the emulator and ROMs. I've got a MAME DVD with a bunch of stuff already on there. I think MAMEox is the most current MAME build on oXB.

I really don't know how well the arcade side works on Wii, but I've heard it's not as good as on the oXB.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:One of the easiest ways to get arcade stuff set up is find a pre-built DVD with the emulator and ROMs. I've got a MAME DVD with a bunch of stuff already on there. I think MAMEox is the most current MAME build on oXB.

I really don't know how well the arcade side works on Wii, but I've heard it's not as good as on the oXB.

So the emu & ROMS are on a disc? Taking me back to the circa 2001 Dreamcast NES emulation days!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah. You don't have to do it that way, but the storage space on the stock hard drive is pretty limited, so it's how I rolled. Just easier than getting my soft-mod working with a brand new larger hard drive... and I didn't want to spend the money. :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:Yeah. You don't have to do it that way, but the storage space on the stock hard drive is pretty limited, so it's how I rolled. Just easier than getting my soft-mod working with a brand new larger hard drive... and I didn't want to spend the money. :lol:

Ha! That's awesome. The first time I heard about a CD-R running the emu & ROMS on a DC, it blew my mind man. It was actually a Blockbuster employee who told me. Aging myself there :)

@SpaceBooger, regarding both USB ports: for what it's worth, I ran into a very similar problem in the PS2 mod scene. I can verify both USB ports work. When I have 2 USB drives plugged in though, wonky things started happening. I don't think the soft mod programming was designed to read both or even have both ports lit up. Again, different scenario but found that to be an interesting commonality.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

More likely a hardware issue that both USB ports share a single bus and a single power supply.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

samsonlonghair wrote:More likely a hardware issue that both USB ports share a single bus and a single power supply.

Good point. Build to handle two accessories, not push that amount of ROM or emu data.

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

fastbilly1 wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Knowing that 3rd party classic controllers did not work with homebrew (mainly the SNES emulator), but I took a chance.... and it does not work.

Try Retroarch. Ive had controllers not work in FCEultra or SNES9x, but work fine in Retroarch.

Ok, I tried that but it doesn't work either. I think the main hiccup other than it's 3rd party is that the d-pad is mapped to the analog stick and that is causing issues. The controller works on official VC releases.

samsonlonghair wrote:More likely a hardware issue that both USB ports share a single bus and a single power supply.

That does make sense since people are reporting that external USB drives in both slots do work.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

I didnt even know Retroarch had a wii release till I was nosing in this thread. Tried it out and its good though not very user friendly at all, and it did make me notice how godawful the zooming is on Snes9xgx. You pretty much have to jack with the settings on a game to game basis to get it correct, while RA is fine.

I did notice that it had missing sprites for changing between stereo and mono sound on SMRPG right off the bat. It also had slowdown in parts where SNES9x did not. Kind of a double edged sword here.

Good news is while VBAgx was frameskip city for GBA games, they seem to run buttery smooth on Retroarch but I could not get the aspect ratio correct. I will keep tinkering and see what I can do, but for now I will probably stick to the old emus.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

miked wrote:I didnt even know Retroarch had a wii release till I was nosing in this thread. Tried it out and its good though not very user friendly at all, and it did make me notice how godawful the zooming is on Snes9xgx. You pretty much have to jack with the settings on a game to game basis to get it correct, while RA is fine

Retroarch has never really been userfriendly, but if you have the time to tweak everything it does some really cool things. Like you can play Xmen vs Street Fighter and Tatsujin 2 on the Wii.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, starting my research for this mod... any one tried using .iso files with USB loader GX for 2 disc games on the GCN such as Code Veronica, Tales of Symphonia, Killer 7 ,etc?