Wii Softmod 2016

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SpaceBooger

Wii Softmod 2016

Post by SpaceBooger »

I know there are other topics about this, but since they are old and all over the place I want to make a definitive updated thread.

I'm going to attempt to softmod my Wii so I can emulate older consoles. I'm not modifying my GC compatible one, instead I'll mod the newer non GC one. I have a SD card and Twilight Princess, so my question is:
With all the guides out there what is the easiest way as of 2016 to softmod the Wii and what software should be installed?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Softmod 2016

Post by EllertMichael »

LetterBomb should be the easiest if you're just putting Homebrew Channel on there to run emulators.

https://please.hackmii.com/
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm going to be doing this too. I just picked up a wii on a whim at goodwill for ten bucks. I already own two wiis, but I figured for ten bucks why not have a little fun modding something. I'm glad you made this topic booger, I'll go on this journey with you.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Awesome. Following thread :)! This is on my radar as well after having a ton of fun with my recently modded PS2, and I have a Wii laying around.

Are you looking to playing retail Wii .iso files as well or only emus?

CRTs Fat PS2 HDD & GCN on Wii guide details the GameCube portion which I do want to test out. It seemed fairly straightforward although a bit long process. He also details emulators, but not sure if there are newer, more robust/compatible, easier methods out there?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

Jagosaurus wrote:Are you looking to playing retail Wii .iso files as well or only emus?

I set up USB loader with ModMii
http://modmii.comuf.com/
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I did the Letterbomb method and have emus working great. Now I can't play my retail games, unless I do a system update. Im sure there is a workaround. Any ideas?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

It's 2016. Has anyone cracked the Wii Mini yet?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's weird, it should still let you play retail games. If you've just got HBC on there, it should be fine.

If you still have issues, though, you can use something like Gecko OS to boot your discs without updating. That's what I used before I started muddling around with IOSs to play my imported copy of Xenoblade.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I didn't try to play a disc, but when I put in Xenoblade the disc channel said "system update" shoo o didn't need with it.
When modifying it, bootmii (I think) was installed.
BLOG | BST
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

ive done about 18 softmod installs on my own WII's and never had a problem with the below guide you guys may want to try it.

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886