Saturn Mod Chip Woes

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
jokker

Saturn Mod Chip Woes

Post by jokker »

So I just got a modchip from Rob Webb (yes I know it's not a Racketboy but I just ordered one of those today!)

It's very odd, the modchip works fine for a while and then randomly the Saturn is unable to read CD-R's anymore. It just stops reading them, no consistancy at all because it's a different place with different discs. It's a model 2 32pin IC Saturn and it works just fine with regular discs when the modchip is not in the Saturn.

Anyone seen a problem like this before? I figured I'd get a Racketboy chip to see if the same problem occurs (hopefully not) but I'd really like to figure out what's going on and if it's an isolated incident or perhaps just a bad modchip or something!

Feel free to ask more questions I'm happy to answer them, I just want to find a solution to the problem! It gets REALLY annoying when you start playing a game and it will just randomly drop out on you!

Thanks
_Troy
jokker

Post by jokker »

Little more info I forgot to add in the first post...

when the problem does occur, a simple reset or power cycle does not solve the problem. The Saturn has to be turned off and left off for a random amount of time sometimes 2 or 3 minutes but other times it's been more like 1/2 hour.

Again it's a very odd problem that I just can't figure out. With regards to the modchip installation I've tried both methods indicated on Rob Webb's website and one doesn't work at all (all cds are read as audio discs) or I get as I described above.

Thanks again any help regarding this, perhaps my prayers will be answered upon receiving the Racketboy chip, one can only hope!
Shvalt
8-bit

Post by Shvalt »

Did you put the modchip in using the AB method or did you solder the wire to the 14th pin.

Sometimes the AB method doesn't work. (It didn't for me)
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

Shvalt wrote:Did you put the modchip in using the AB method or did you solder the wire to the 14th pin.

Sometimes the AB method doesn't work. (It didn't for me)
that's the racketway, also snowkitty should know, he likes those chips.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
jokker

Post by jokker »

Thanks for the replies so far...

Here are some pictures if needed for those familiar with the modchip in question...

http://reasonablyinteresting.com/~jokker/saturn